Q&A Forums

foam cutting or shaving tools???? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Craig Maturi
Posted: Feb 28, 2007 03:55 PM
foam cutting or shaving tools????
what tools does everyone use for 1/2lb and 2lb?????? i need to buy some and don't know what to get.
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Feb 28, 2007 08:30 PM
We made hand tools for shaving oc. You can buy hand knifes on ebay. Type in foam insulation. Many people use a long blade on a sawzall. For cc we use a scraper with a long handle for the overspray on studs. Small hand saws are handy to have. You can also buy a foam plane for cc foam.
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Mar 02, 2007 02:13 AM
We only do CC and charge extra for shaving. We inform the homeowner/contractor that they can take a simple hand saw to cut the foam. Homeowners are more than happy to do it them selves and contractors are the same. Contractors are more than willing to pay one of their guys their wage to cut the foam than pay our rate.

Our sprayers are trained not to have "bubbles" but it does happen....We also don't plastic anything off, we also leave this to the homeowner/contractor.... this is how we can charge a lower price.

We come in, spray, and get on with the next job. Homeowners gain a little more pride in their home knowing that they saved some cash and did some sweat equity. Contractors look at it as JOB DONE little clean up, now on to the finishing work...dryway, etc...

You can spend 1/2 your day hanging plastic and cutting foam.... your not making money on this labor.... think of it that way.
Ron McMullin
Posted: Mar 29, 2007 11:51 PM
A foam plane works for me, I bought it from a company in Washington state. Don't remember the name, it is an air hog though, you will need a compressor that delivers 21 ft a min. at over 90 psi. Total investment for my cleanup trailer is about 7000.00. Air grinders, compressor, trailer...It makes a lot of dust. It is the best answer I've found, if anyone has a better idea, I'd like to know.
Ron McMullin
A foam plane works for me, I bought it from a company in Washington state. Don't remember the name, it is an air hog though, you will need a compressor that delivers 21 ft a min. at over 90 psi. Total investment for my cleanup trailer is about 7000.00. Air grinders, compressor, trailer...It makes a lot of dust. It is the best answer I've found, if anyone has a better idea, I'd like to know.
Ron McMullin

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.