Q&A Forums

flame spread Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
SPFer
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 04:15 PM
flame spread
Hello, I hope everyone is spraying away.

I am a bit confused about this situation. I recently looked at a large job, here is the architects project specifications:

"Provide two component material, for exterior applications, complying with ASTM E84, and complying with the governing code, with flame-spread rating of 15 and smoke development rating of 400, as manufactured by Fomo Products, inc, or approved equal"
SPFer
Posted: Jan 14, 2009 04:16 PM
However, on Fomo's site the spec sheet says it has a flame spread rating of 25 and smoke development rating of 200.

Also, it appears they make only frothpaks, not 55 gallon drums of chemical. That's not gonna work.

All the foams I have sprayed have the flame rating of <25 and smoke rating of 450.

Am I crazy or do these foams not meet these specs. Is this architect a moron or am I?
mason
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 08:24 AM
I would try contacting Fomo products to see if they have a foam that matches the spec. It does appear strange to have a spec for a 15 flame spread rating. Most sprayfoams used for interior use are tested in accordance with ASTM E-84 as a class 1 which is less than 25 and less than 450 smoke developed. So, it is possible that the Fomo product has achieved a 15 flames spread and 400 smoke rating. But, building codes don't require better than a class 1 foam so I am not sure why they would list a 15 flame spread.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.