Q&A Forums

Fire caulking before spray foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Dennis Myers
Posted: Nov 27, 2013 11:01 AM
Fire caulking before spray foam
A friend of mine is a GC and wants me to spray foam his home, in the past I have only sprayed retrofit jobs, so fire caulking was not an issue. I have tried looking around online but I cannot seem to find the answer.

Is fire caulk required before filling a stud bay with open cell foam?

I think I should be fire-caulking before I apply my foam, and my friend thinks he can save and just have me spray because the foam will seal any penetrations.
SPFer
Posted: Nov 27, 2013 02:17 PM
SPF is not an acceptable fire stopping material in our area. You need to fire stop with an approved fire stopping material before insulation. Around here the firestopping and draftproofing needs to be inspected by the building inspector prior to insulation.
mason
Posted: Nov 29, 2013 09:12 AM
In order to be approved as a fire stop, the material must be tested in accordance with specific fire tests. Spray foam used as insulation typically is not tested as a fire block or stop. However, some of the foam sealants have been tested.

Google foam fire stops and blocking to see which ones comply. Then double check their ICC Evaluation Reports to verify compliance in your application. Take the information to your code official for final approval.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.