Q&A Forums

cpvc pipes Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
SPFer
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 02:28 PM
cpvc pipes
Had an owner ask me if SPF will react negatively with CVPC piping, or any other building materials. I know the material needs to be able to handle the heat when applied, but are there any chemical reactions to be aware of?
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 03:02 PM
Of course I can't speak for all brands of sprayfoam out there, but the brands that we deal with have not had any issues with cpvc. It is a misconception that cured foam will react with the cpvc. As you have already mentioned, you have to take care in applying foam over cpvc so that you don't overheat it. Spray 1" passes over it for the first two passes with closed cell and you should have no issues. You should be able to get a letter from the foam manufacturer stating that it is OK.

Merry Christmas!

George
mason
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 09:04 PM
As George reported, no chemical issues, but do watch the temperatures. SPFA has some data based on tests conducted on CPVC pipe that can be helpful if you run into a problem with a specifier Contact Rick Duncan with SPFA for more details.
Mark Mouton
Posted: Dec 18, 2013 03:25 PM
What about open cell reacting with PEX piping? I had heard there could be some issues there.
mason
Posted: Dec 23, 2013 02:53 PM
Not to my knowledge, Check with SPFA's technical guy Rick Duncan.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.