Q&A Forums

Energy Raters? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
NEFoamer94
Posted: Jun 16, 2011 01:09 PM
Energy Raters?
I was just curious how many of you are also certified energy raters through RESnet or have someone on staff that is? I was thinking about finding someone and putting them through the training and what not but wasn't sure what kind of revenue is added by this? Obviously doing ratings and audits would hopefully lead to more bids and more jobs, but how does the revenue generated by doing the ratings alone compare to the equipment, training, and labor needed to do them? What kind of income is generated from doing ratings alone? Thanks!
angus mcdougald
Posted: Jun 18, 2011 08:01 PM
We do audits mostly thru bpi standards as opposed to hers(were that to but in jersey, the money is in bpi)

We are also bpi trainers and affiliates of bpi (we have approved courses) I think we are the only foam contractor in the US of A that teaches Bpi.... we sell the books have practice equipment, and can develop customized classes for larger companies.

We want to sell a 500 dollar audit..... that was our beginning. Model 5 years ago.... there is a generous home performance program in jersey.... it heavily favors (unfortunately ) Hvac guys... they offer audits as basically a loss leader.... they might offer it for free or 60 or 200.....

We do audits for 250-300 for the average single family, have 3 sets of audit equipment (about 8k each with IR), we have 3 trained auditors (they do other things) we wave between 5 and 15 audits a week. We find we close jobs based on audits about a third of the time, but we could close more if we had a salesperson, and better process

You can either work with independent auditors or have one in house. You need pressure tests and blower doors when there are problems, and we like to have test ins outs on all our jobs. We like the science of it.

We also do a one year later bill analysis to match predictions with results. (Some have not hit our goals, but over 60% over perform)
Posted: Jun 20, 2011 11:07 PM
what do you mean by you "wave" between 5-15 audits per week?
what do you mean by "test in out on all jobs"??
what percentage have not met you predictions??
60% over
?% met
?% under
thanx
dude
angus mcdougald
Posted: Jun 21, 2011 04:08 PM
With 3 able bpi auditors, we have the ability to do about 25 audits a week. Last year when the home performance rebate was 10k, we averaged about 15 audits a week. Some weeks we have 5 scheduled, others 15... 2 auditors do other work, so we can keep them busy, but if we had 3 auditors that only did audits, we could not keep them busy.
With the computer modeling, creating the report and proposal, we factor about 6 hrs per audit. The utility program with their 125 audit, has workers do 3-4 audits a day. They print a one sheet report in their car on site.. our reports are like 15 pages .... we don't make much on an audit but we make something. We could sell a 125 audit, and either lose 75 and consider it the cost of a lead, or produce a simpler audit in maybe 2.5 worker hours... I seen it go many ways.... if you are fully profiting on a Hvac, you may want to go cheap or free,,,,,

As bpi contractor (especially us being trainers), you are expected to follow bpi guidelines on all projects... this means replacing foil dryer vents with semi rigid, insulating exhaust ducts and venting them thru roof, and lots of other details....

Anytime you tighten the house atmospherically vented combustion can backdraft under worst case depressurazation..... test in test out. Blower door, combustion gas leak testing etc on all our projects even outside of home performance program jobs....(as an aside we find that over half the water heaters fail after reducing the average home 1000cfm. Even when the end result is well above .7 ach )

If you spray a full house, and don't test out spillage their is a chance you can cause things to backdraft....

Im just trying to give you an idea of the industry...
alot of details, profitable depending on alot of details, deferent risks depending on details.... details. Details
(I haven't even commented on the loan,rebate, program details ; or the bpi paperwork compliance details or yearly calibration details, the annual bpi office audit(they look into yet books and check out 5-10% of your jobs)

As far as my stats, and before after bill analysis ....., we have a mechanical engineer student intern compiling lots of data collecting bills etc... I will get back to that later.

In nj they have 180 listed contractors; less then 60 actively put jobs in... the biggest hutchenson Hvac, did 700+ next. Company did 300 next 200 then 150. We did about 100. Putting us in the top 20... we built a pretty good company because of audits and home performance incentives so I would say its worth it, but I know at least 30 of the 180 bpi contractors would disagree. Its the details, and i am lucky to have a great partner, cause I couldn't handle it myself
angus mcdougald
Posted: Jun 22, 2011 03:21 PM
btw foamdude.. could you email me your contact info at angus@brightalt.com? I couldnt get the pm thing to worl

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.