Q&A Forums

Duct spray? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Ron@F&H
Posted: Jul 21, 2016 06:48 PM
Duct spray?
Mason, I have a customer wanting the HVAC duct work sprayed, I am new to the business and was wondering what foam is recommended for this application? Thank you in advance for the help.
mason
Posted: Jul 21, 2016 07:04 PM
Because of the potential for condensation within open cell foam, I would recommend closed cell foam. Plus, the building codes specifically allow class 1 closed cell SPF over ducts in attics, Be sure to install an ignition barrier over the foam.

Ron@F&H
Posted: Jul 21, 2016 07:08 PM
Thank You very much Mason, would you recommend a barrier that will work with Gaco-Western 2.0 lbs CC foam?
mason
Posted: Jul 22, 2016 03:15 PM
I don't see an ICC Evaluation Report on Gaco Westerns 2 lb foam, however, they have a code compliance report from Intertek that lists DC-315. International Fireproof Technologies lists DC 315 over Gaco Western's 2 lb foam as passing the alternative thermal barrier testing at 14 dry mils but doesn't list an ignition barrier thickness. There is an IAPMO Evaluation Report (0234) for Gaco Western's 2 lb foam that calls for TPR Coating at 8 dry mils as an ignition barrier. I would contact the technical guys at Gaco Western for their opinion on which to use and how much to install. In any case get the answers in writing, so you can show it to the code officials.
mason
Posted: Jul 22, 2016 03:16 PM
I don't see an ICC Evaluation Report on Gaco Westerns 2 lb foam, however, they have a code compliance report from Intertek that lists DC-315. International Fireproof Technologies lists DC 315 over Gaco Western's 2 lb foam as passing the alternative thermal barrier testing at 14 dry mils but doesn't list an ignition barrier thickness. There is an IAPMO Evaluation Report (0234) for Gaco Western's 2 lb foam that calls for TPR Coating at 8 dry mils as an ignition barrier. I would contact the technical guys at Gaco Western for their opinion on which to use and how much to install. In any case get the answers in writing, so you can show it to the code officials.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.