Q&A Forums

Do fire sprinklers change foam TB/IB requirements? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Steve Bednarski
Posted: Feb 01, 2011 11:41 AM
Do fire sprinklers change foam TB/IB requirements?
Hi all, looking for info. on whether the presence of a full sprinkler system, with both up/down spray patterns, change any of the requirements for ignition/thermal barriers over foam insulation? The job is in a new construction restaurant, approx. 5800 sqft, and the builders would like to add more insulation to the underside of the roof sheathing. The plans were originally approved by the city as having exposed J2000 engineered wood joists, along with the exposed osb wood roof sheathing, to be used as an 'exposed ceiling'. Any comments and/or thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks, Steve
richard sucher II
Posted: Feb 08, 2011 10:35 AM
Have situation that is similar and am wondering if sprinkler system is adequate for protection as well. Have asked supplier to respond as well with no answer as yet. Have you gotten any additional input on the question. If so, relaying it to me would be appreciated. Thanks.
jimcoler

I have over 10 years of experience specifying and installing open and closed cell spray foam. I've sold my business but I'm still selling for the new owners and consulting on large and custom specific jobs. 

I've expanded my knowledge into t

Posted: Feb 10, 2011 08:31 AM
I do remember talking about this situation a while back and as I recall, it was dtermined that you don't need to install a TB in there but an IB in some cases. I know there has been a lot of discussion about this with our industry and it should be addressed. Al lot of it will depend on the types of sprinklers as you said. Are they up spray, down spray, and what temperature do they go off at? There are many-many different variables in sprinkler designs that can affect this. These variables don't help either.

So, I would say to be safe, you've done the right thing by seeking the answer from your supplier.

Hope this helps.
Jim

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.