Q&A Forums

Cold storage Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jan 20, 2008 09:54 PM
Cold storage
Mason,

I have a customer that wants to build a cold storage facility in Maine. I have been looking at the details in AY 111. Do the exterior walls need to be masonary, or could you have a steel fabricated building?

George
mason
Posted: Jan 21, 2008 07:48 AM
I have insulted many metal buildings for cold storage service. Use the same principles discussed in the AY 111 document and also check out AY 134 (Insulating Metal Buildings with SPF)

A few things to consider when insulating metal buildings for cold storage. The metal is a vapor barrier but I still like to spray a vapor retarder coating (such as asphalt mastic) to the interior of the metal substrate and to add a vapor retarder slip sheet in the wall ceiling and wall floor connections. Metal buildings tend to move and have fasteners and penetrations that let a lot of air in. The coating seals the building better and the slip sheet acts like an vapor retarder expansion joint.

(note: the slip sheet may not be required for smaller freezers and coolers. If the building is 30 to 40 ft or less, the foam will probably hold it together without the need for a slip sheet.)

Use the same rules as if you were installing an expansion joint on a roof.

The sprayfoam will glue the building together minimizing thermal expansion and contraction, but structural movement can still occur.

Be sure to use sufficient thickness of foam to prevent condensation and provide the insulation required for the cooler units.

If it is a freezer, pay attention to the pull down schedule. Nothing worse than not being able to get the door open once a freezer gets to temperature.
Robert Webster
Posted: Mar 02, 2008 11:11 PM
whee can i get the AY111 and other AY info
mason
Posted: Mar 03, 2008 02:55 PM
All of the SPFA technical documents are available online at sprayfoam.org. Right now they are free to download but may not be in the future.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.