Q&A Forums

Certification for Government work? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
quentin
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 02:15 PM
Certification for Government work?
Mason,

I was talking to a contractor today and he couldn't remember the name but it was AABB or something like that he said. It is a requirment to spray foam in government buildings. He does a lot of work with the VA and it would be one heck of a good lead for me if I could figure out what the certification is and what I need to do to get it. I am already a SDVOSB but that means nothing if I am blocked by something like this!

Do you or anyone else have any idea what he was talking about?
Luke Kujacznski
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 02:50 PM
Most likely he was talking about aaba or air barrier assc of america. Don't know why you would need this for government work?

Luke
mason
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 03:50 PM
I am not aware of any government regulation that requires the use of sprayfoam. However, there may be some requirements to air seal buildings. SPF is one of many products that can be used to air seal buildings. (Of course, I think it is the most practical and effective way to seal a building).
quentin
Posted: Sep 12, 2008 05:13 PM
OK, it looks like the group has an SPF certification course but no information on anything besides it being in October and no determination on the place or etc. I think it may be some local idiot from the government that is trying to require it so I may have the SBA reps hammer them for requiring a $1000 course for each employee that is not really needed.

Spray Polyurethane Foam Installer Training Course
The Spray Polyurethane Foam installer training course consists of both theory and practical instruction.

The classroom portion of training emphasizes understanding the need for and function of an air barrier assembly, the ability to select and install the correct material in SPF application, the ability to confirm proper installation through on-sit testing and the documentation required throughout the air barrier installation process. The classroom is divided into three main modules. The first, principles and theory provides an introduction to air barriers, building science, codes and standards as well as installer ethics and responsibilities. The second module focuses on procedure, teaching participants about testing and audits and proper documentation and reporting. The final module of the classroom section is an overview of building enclosure construction. Participants will learn about material selection, application technology, substrate conditions and the continuity/compatibility of components

The practical portion of the training module is carried out on a job site, or on a mock-up where an authorized ABAA representative will instruct the installer and observe the application of the air barrier assembly.

Prerequisites for CERTIFICATION
2000 Hours of experience in air barrier applications or related fields and a passing average grade of 80% (achieving not less than 65% or any individual module) as well as the completion of all required documentation.

Cost: Members $995 / Non-Member $1295
Course Length: 3 Days

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.