Q&A Forums

Case Studies Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Gary Galloway
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 01:10 AM
Case Studies
Mason,

I recall seeing a couple of case studies posted in the documents area that seem to have disappeared. One was a case study of two identical houses one with foam the other with fiberglass and an actual energy cost comparison for a year. The other was a retrofited attic in a home of about 1500 Sq feet with estimates on the energy savings based on blower door test. I have been trying to find them again and either they are gone or I am looking in the wrong place. Can you point me to where they are located ???

Thanks,
Gary
mason
Posted: Nov 13, 2007 07:25 AM
Gary,

I have one case study posted on my website, masonknowles.com. called remodeling solutions with SPF. Click on articles and then look for Remodeling Solutions with SPF. The article is the 2nd one in the magazine (Modern Materials).

Your supplier should have case studies on a variety of applications, check with them for something that is works for you.

I am not familiar with the study you reference.

The oldest study that I am aware of is a side by side comparison of SPF and fiberglass installed to apartments in Heritage Village New Jersey in the 60s. Hundreds of apartments were sprayed with foam next to the same number of apartments insulated with fiberglass. The SPF insulated apartments consistently used 15 to 25% less energy than the fiberglass insulated units. Remember this study was before housewrap, so it is not a true reflection of today's construction.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.