Q&A Forums

Calculating usage / cost of material Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Daniel Rose
Posted: Nov 29, 2006 09:10 AM
Calculating usage / cost of material
We pay for material by the pound , but our guys track what they are using by the gallon. We guess that there is about 50 gallons of A and 50 gallons of B. I then divide by price for each barrel by 50 to get a cost per gallon. I figure 1/2 gallon of A and 1/2 gallon of B to get one gallon of finished material. I think this works out right, but would love to know if anyone has a better way of finding cost per gallon. By the way this is closed cell. I don,t know if that matters.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 29, 2006 08:29 PM
10 lbs. per gallon will get you there.
Brian Mulder
Posted: Nov 29, 2006 10:05 PM
Are you doing the work on a time and material basis if you are figuring what you have already used vs. what you need to cover at a certain thickness?

What about figuering the square feet you are spraying? For example 100 sf at 1 inch thick= 100 bd feet. 100 sf at 2 inches thick = 200 bd ft and so on. AT this time of the year in central New York State I average 5000 bd ft per set as told to me by my foam supplier. (closed cell). Of course I am still new to this, just finished my first job, and will keep tracking it.

B
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Nov 29, 2006 10:21 PM
It is easier to track material usage by volume. If I take the # of strokes that my machine pumped and multiply by .042, I get gallons used. If you figure 100 gallons per set, that is 2,380 strokes per set. Most 2lb foams get 4,000 bd ft per set. I figure and bid the jobs by the board foot, then by checking the number of strokes, calculate the amount of material used and make sure that I bid correctly and verify yeild. Hope this helps you, but I think I confused myself?

George
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Dec 02, 2006 09:52 PM
I caculate everything by the board foot, but I always seem to use more foam then I plan on. My solution to my problem is fiquire more board feet into my bids. When spraying over head my yields go down considerably.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.