Q&A Forums

Best solution for this wall system? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Steve Simpson
Posted: Nov 04, 2012 04:17 PM
Best solution for this wall system?
Hi,
The wall system is an exterior brick wall, with a wood stud wall inside. This is for both proper thermal performance and acoustical isolation. The wood stud wall cannot touch any applied foam and must be lined with batts for acoustical dampening. 2 layers of 5/8 drywall on the studs. Zone 5.

How would you go about treating this?
It can't be sprayed from the outside, and internal dimensions are tight so the wall can't be a monster.
My thought was 2" of closed cell on the brick and no poly vapour barrier. The biggest concern is condensation.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Steve
mason
Posted: Nov 06, 2012 12:15 PM
Steve,

The best solution is to change the design. I would not feel comfortable spraying the brick. What if the brick has cracks or the mortar lets go? I have run across this type of assembly before and our solution was to spray to the interior wood sheathing, between the studs, then pop a base plate into the floor in front of the foamed wall assembly studs add another layer of studs which can be filled with accoustical insulation. install your drywall to the new studs. Basically you are adding a wall inside of a wall.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.