Q&A Forums

Average sprayfoam installer income? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Oct 12, 2016 04:25 PM
Average sprayfoam installer income?
I've been spray foaming in Maine for a year and I don't know if I'm being underpaid or not. I make $12 an hour.
mason
Posted: Oct 13, 2016 12:46 PM
Sprayfoam applicator pay varies significantly across the country. Some factors to consider:

cost of living in your area
amount of trained applicators in your area
type of work that the company performs (residential insulation typical pays less than commercial work)
how the work is bid (small margins or larger margins)
How profitable the company is

What skills do you have?

Can you spray foam without assistance from other applicators or the foreman?
Is the foam smooth and uniform?
Can you troubleshoot equipment, clean the spray gun, replace equipment parts, drive the truck, run a crew, set up the job site (containment, ventilation, scaffolds, ladders, masking, compressors, generators etc.)?

The more you can do the more you should get paid. If you only spray foam then you will make a lot less

Having said that, consider that in 1972 I was making $12/hr as a SPF applicator in Houston, TX ($17/hr for union jobs). Our helpers were getting $9/hr. But I could take the equipment apart with my eyes closed, could run a job from start to finish and sprayed beautiful foam.

Ask your employer what you can do to get paid more. Consider taking online courses on SPF applications, ask your employer to send you to training schools in your area for certification.
The more skill and knowledge you obtain the more valuable you become.

Good luck.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.