Q&A Forums

Attic Bedroom w/ Spray Foam Insulation Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Naomi Torres-Fernandez
Posted: Dec 02, 2007 10:16 AM
Attic Bedroom w/ Spray Foam Insulation
I have an attic space above my two car garage that I would like to convert into a master bedroom. The headroom is tight but I figured a large dormer would open up the space. Because there will not be an attic space I been thinking that spray on insulation is the way to go. Any ideas, information and feedback is greatly appreciated.
mason
Posted: Dec 03, 2007 06:37 AM
Sprayfoam would be the way to go. Check with the local building codes on how much foam to put in. And since it is inhabitable space be sure to cover the foam with a thermal barrier. (1/2" gypsum drywall will work). You can download SPFA guidelines on this type of application at sprayfoam.org.
Naomi Torres-Fernandez
Posted: Dec 03, 2007 11:12 AM
Thanks I am glad to hear that. My house has a two tier roof. If I spray the attic space above the garage where I am planning for a master bedroom, should I be concerned that the rest of my house has batting. Also, how would it affect the HVAC unit size. By the way I am the homeowner and will not be doing this job. I need to get educated, because one contractor is not open to spray on. The other option to blow off the roof to make room for attic ventilation and that is verrryyy expensive.
mason
Posted: Dec 05, 2007 06:53 PM
Treat this room separate from the rest of the house. Venting it would make the foam less efficient. However, you need to vent in the ceiling areas that are insulated with fiberglass,

As for finding a contractor, be sure to get references and call each one. Check with their suppliers also for other recommendations in your area. Some things to ask:
Were they on time?
Did they leave or make a mess?
Did they spray the minimum thickness specified or an average? (or worse less than specified)
Did they install a thermal barrier or ignition barrier?
How long did the project take?
Were they responsive to your inquiries and concerns?
What type of training do the applicators have?
How long has the company been in business?
How long have the applicators been spraying?

If there is more than one crew,always stress that you are very picky and want their absolute best foamers and you may have a 3rd party inspection of the project. (not all applicator crews are equal, insist on the best)

Get a quote detailing specifically what work is to be performed, what thickness (min) of foam in each area, what brand and type of foam and thermal barrier is to be used and any warranties or guarantees.

Hope this helps.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.