Q&A Forums

A Big Disappointment!!!!!!! Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Tim Adams
Posted: Jun 19, 2013 03:09 PM
A Big Disappointment!!!!!!!
Ok, maybe that was overly-dramatic. :-)

We did our first SPF roof this morning: 3300 sq. ft. gravel built up. Removed gravel of course. I hate to step on toes or burst any bubbles but those of you who were telling me horror stories about the disasters that were lurking if we didn't get training out the wazoo, were wrong.

This stuff is actually pretty easy to apply and get a nice orange peel surface with very little training. Granted, we've sprayed 30 million sq. ft. of roofs with chopped glass and emulsion, so we're not rookies, but you guys had me losing lots of sleep over nothing.

We have much to learn, but it's not nearly as steep a learning curve as some of you portray.
Cory Boehs
Posted: Jun 21, 2013 10:14 AM
Awww, you mean I'm not the only guy in North America that can spray good foam?! Glad to hear it went well. Boyd, some of the guys on here forget that they were rookies at some point also. Go get em!!
Tim Adams
Posted: Jun 21, 2013 01:08 PM
Cory, thanks.

People want to defend their ricebowl and are sometimes reluctant to share info. I saw it on car wash forums in my 13 years in that business.

Funny observation was that it seemed that those who were the most stingy with info for the newbie, ran marginal car washes. The very successful operators seemed free with helpful info to newbies because they remember what it was like, and felt like paying their success forward.
Mark Mouton
Posted: Jun 22, 2013 09:36 AM
I'm glad it went well for you also. But it's better to go into a job with a concerned attitude than thinking it's going to be a piece of cake. I've only done a couple of small sprayfoam roof jobs and on one of them I had to pay for 13 buff jobs to get overspray off of cars that were 75-100' away!!!
I heard a man say that roofing foam will travel right over a ragged '73 F-150 and stick voraciosly to a 2013 BMW. I believe it.
On another note, an old foam roofer explained to me about spraying a metal roof in the summer time. They started at the top and worked down. They didn't finish and had to pull off for a couple of days. When they came back to finish, they discovered the metal was torn at the point where the foam was stopped. When the metal became hot from the sun, the insulated and uninsulated panels had different expansion rates.
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Jun 24, 2013 05:36 PM
I am glad to see you two found your way to the board, lol. I am glad it all went well.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.