Q&A Forums

Unvented attics Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 07:08 AM
Unvented attics
mason,
linn county, iowa. inspectors are demanding a thermal barrier in the unvented attics. not an ignition barrier,but they want a thermal barrier.
what documentation can/should i provide to promote the unvented attic assembly.
yes i am aware of thermocon and k40, which would make the assembly completely (more) out of the affordable range of most builders.

should i ask why they allowed them in the past, uncoated or uncovered, but now require such?

these are unvented with no access for utilities, just big attic roof lines

any help would be appreciated.

mark moyer
midwest poly-solutions
iowa city iowa
mason
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 08:27 AM
Mark,

All you have to do is point them to the building codes. Both the IBC (commercial buildings) and the IRC (residential buildings) allow the use of foam plastics (EPS, XPS, Polyiso, SPF, etc) in attics and crawl spaces with access limited to service of utilities without a thermal barrier but with an ignition barrier (1-1/2 inches of mineral fiber, 1/4 inch wood paneling or covering and other materials tested in accordance with ICC accepted room corner fire tests.

Show them the SPFA document AY 126, Thermal Barriers for the SPF Industry and reference the code sections listed there. You can download it free of charge at sprayfoam.org

It hasn't changed significantly for 30 plus years.

Good luck,
Brian Mulder
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 06:17 PM
So if you spray the underside of the roof in an attic and only have a scuddle hole for access for that once a year visit for whatever...you need to put an ignition barrier over the foam? And the same thing for a crawl space. How many sprayers are actually putting up this ignititon barrier vs contractural language stating that it is up to the homeowner to do this when they are done.

Just wondering because I know of a few sprayers that have sprayed limited access attics and crawl spaces and no barrier and were done with the job.
mason
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 03:46 PM
Gotfoam,

It is very risky not to follow codes. If a fire is started in the attic and foam is installed with no ignition barrier and no ICC ES report saying it is ok for that specific application, the contractor and the supplier most likely will be sued. Past history tells us that even a sign-off from the owner doesn't prevent the contractor from losing that lawsuit in court.

Be safe, protect your business, install the ignition barrier.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.