Q&A Forums

Unexpected Surprise Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Chicago Spray Foam
Posted: Nov 21, 2012 01:07 PM
Unexpected Surprise
While spraying an 80+ year old balloon framed home in Chicago, we sprayed an old set of creaky stairs from the underside with closed cell insulation to see if the 200-300% increase in racking strength would do anything for the creaks. In fact, our plan was to ask the homeowner on our trim day if he noticed a difference but he approached us first with his amazement of the product and how his stairs felt more solid than ever and without squeaking. I can’t say that I was completely surprised with closed cell insulations ability to stop the stairs from creaking, but it did, and I thought I would share in case it could be a beneficial upsell in the industry.

Dan
Grady Littlehale
Posted: Nov 21, 2012 06:49 PM
I also did this with my first floor ceiling in my old "shak", sprayed roughly two inches and it stopped almost all the creaks.
mark moyer
Posted: Nov 23, 2012 06:56 AM
dan,,,back in 2000 i sprayed a 2x4 wall in a great room over by the quad cities,,it went 20' tall,,2x4,,sheesh,,,farmer built the home out in the country,,,we dont need no stinkin inspectors....well you could lean against the wall before we sprayed it and feel it move it was racking back and forth,,,scarey,,,
filled the cavity with 2lb basf 81205....
stiffened her right up...
as per nahb wall test 2x4 wall with 2" cc and cement board sideing...200% increase in racking strength to wall assembly..
but surely the design flaw took away from that boost,,20' in a 2x4..whodathunk???earl,,cheapearl

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.