Q&A Forums

Textbook or Reference Material for newbies, Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: May 23, 2008 10:15 AM
Textbook or Reference Material for newbies,
I am new to the spray foam industry, and could use a good book on the A to Z of it. I have purchased a full contractor's E-20 spray rig trailer, but haven't had time to go to their training school. Can a good book substitute if you are going to learn on your own home buildings to start? Any recommendations on book titles?

Also I am nearing the 6 month recommended "life" of two 55 gal. drums of spray foam Part A & B. Should I be concerned about how far I can exrtend the delay in using it up?
Luke Kujacznski
Posted: May 23, 2008 12:07 PM
hotgrips,

A manuel or book is not a substitue for hands on training! You need to go to a school and learn the ins and outs of this industry. You will save you thousands of dollars in avoided mistakes. It is really important to learn the science and applications for your safety and your customers safety. I am not trying to be a d*** but without the proper training you can really hurt your image as well as the image of the industry.

Luke

Mason sorry for stealing this one I just feel stongly about this issue.
mason
Posted: May 23, 2008 01:26 PM
I agree hands on training is essential, but you should also stack up on technical guidelines available from SPFA. Go to sprayfoam.org and download all of their AY documents, some very good stuff, Moisture Vapor Transmission, Thermal Barriers, Guide to SPF applications on roofing, metal buildings, cold storage, residential insulation, and more.

Also, you can take SPFA's Accreditation courses on roofing, building envelope, fundamentals, project management and more. Cost is $350 for non members and $250 for members. Some suppliers and consultants are authorized to teach the courses as well. (I have given 4 classes since April).

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.