Q&A Forums

Suggestions are Welcome Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Doug Commette
Posted: Mar 28, 2008 10:16 PM
Suggestions are Welcome
Hey Everyone. Welcome to the newest forum topic at SprayFoamMagazine.com. Based on user input, we have decided to build a message board that will help us all to improve the SPF industry for the long haul.

The growth of foam insulation and even roofing market is moving at a staggering pace. We need to work together to assure the industry continues on this path.

We have seen tons of conflicting marketing information, the need for better trained applicators, more consistent building codes acceptance and regulation, safety concerns and more.

This board is intented to collect and process the needs and desires of the industry insiders and veterans to assure we continue on our path to success.

Your input, sincerity and professionalism is requested. Have at it.

Doug
Robert Webster
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 10:25 AM
Well that was quick. Glad to see you went with the idea.

Now lets hope EVERYONE GETS INVOLVED
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Apr 03, 2008 07:19 PM
Thanks Doug, for the continued improvements.

olger
Doug Commette
Posted: Apr 03, 2008 08:03 PM
Your welcome! I am glad you like them. I am working on some powerful networking software, similar to my space. So you can guys can post pics, links, and more stuff to work closer together.

I am also looking for ideas to help contractors so I can do what it takes to put them in motion!! I would like to put together a Professional Foamer Conference, packed with extremely hands on training, some powerful marketing tools, and a good party.

Thinking about Novemeber timeframe in FL or TX. Thoughts?
Robert Webster
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 10:03 AM
The following was posted(under another subject) by Mason in regards to a contractor evaluation.
"Part of the evaluation would be what type of training the contractor and their employees have. For example, SPFA has 6 accreditation courses for full company or individual acccredited status, CUFCA has a certification process required in Candada to spray foam. The Air Barriers Association also has a certification process and dozens of suppliers have their own training programs. My service would list the courses, training taken, who took it and what it entails. It would be updated annually in order for the company to be listed in the data base (to account for new employees, new services, etc.)

I believe the service would cost around $750 to $1000 per company the first time around and maybe around $500 for a renewal. A lot would depend on how long it takes to confirm the infirmation provided.

I could even include for an extra fee, onsite evaluations to further determine the capabilities of the company.

I believe the best way to describe the listing would be a company profile. A snapshot in time of the company.

A few of my supplier cllients have been provided my check list and are using it for their in-house use. This service would open it up to everyone, contractors and suppliers. The consumer could log on to my website for a listing of the contractors and their company profile.

For right now the plan is still in the brainstorming stages, but could get implemented within a month or two depending of my market research on the viability of the service.

Contact me at masonknowles@aol.com if you would like to discuss further. y Mason:"

I believe this would be helpful to the industry, and in addition to this(registry) don't you think SPF contractors should have to be state certified no differant then a plumber, electrician, HVAC people etc???
Terry Shepperd
Posted: May 28, 2008 03:37 PM
teach about insulation values and the three types of heat transfer, Radiant, conductive, and convective heat. how best to insulate each. also real world r values and effective r values such as foam and concrete together forms a battery with a much higher effective r value than each product alone. log homes is another example. If the customer can be informed by the contractor they will pick foam almost every time and preach thier new found knowledge to their friends and neighbors. If everyone can show how a few thousand dollars spent now during new construction paid out over a mortgage is more than compensated by lower heating bills with a net gain in the deal. this added to the regular nuts and bolts of how to spray, ect.. would be good for the whole industry.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.