Q&A Forums

Stress poured Concrete Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Kyle Smith
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 11:47 AM
Stress poured Concrete
I am about to bid on a project for a local restaurant. It is being built under a parking garage so the ceiling is just a flat poured concrete ceiling. I will be spraying NCFI foam at an average of 3". What type of prep is required if any, what type of heater will work best? Also, they have spec ed in k-13 for the Thermal barrier. Can I spray the aldo 757 as the thermal/ignition barrier? Thanks I appreciate whatever help I can get.
mason
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 12:46 PM
You want to be sure the concrete is cured sufficiently before installing the foam. Check with the general to find out what the cure times are. Most green concrete takes around 28 days to cure, although some concrete may have faster cure formulas. Next, be sure to check for any surface contaminants on the concrete that could affect adhesion, priming is usually recommended as well. Check with our foam supplier for their recommendationl.

An ignition barrier is not a thermal barrier. Be sure what you use is tested as a thermal barrier or has been tested with the sprayfoam you are using and passed one of the building code required room corner fire tests in the configuration to be used. (UL 1715, UBC 26-3, NFPA 286, etc)
Aaron Scurlock
Posted: Dec 10, 2008 03:46 PM
Hi, Mason.

I enjoyed the webinar yesterday. Very usefull information.

Anyhow, what would your rcommend for fire/thermal/ignition barriers over 2# inside a metal building?
mason
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 03:15 PM
It depends on the use of the building.

Cellulose thermal barriers can be used if the surface does not need to be washed and sound aborption is desired.

Cementitious thermal barriers can be installed where the surface needs some resistance to impact.

If you need a USDA approved surface, Preferred Solutions makes a spray on thermal barrier that will work. There may be others.

Ask your supplier which thermal barrier would be most appropriate for your building's use and their foam.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.