Q&A Forums

Store Chemicals Outside? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Tim Adams
Posted: Jul 07, 2013 09:35 AM
Store Chemicals Outside?
I see a large area foam contractor stores his drums of chemical outside. I can see why this is a bad idea in the wintertime but what about summer when temps get to triple digits?

We need to accept a large shipment of chemicals and our shop is cramped already - can I put it outside with a tarp over it? Or in lieu of that, what about a shipping container.
mason
Posted: Jul 08, 2013 07:47 AM
Boyd, Sprayfoam materials need to be stored within specific temperature and humidity ranges as specified by the manufacturer. Typically from 50 to 85 degrees and less than 80% humidity. B side chemicals can separate & lose their blowing agent at high temperatures and at low temperatures, the catalyst can go dead and and the liquid thicken. A side chemicals are more affected by low temperature (can seed, crystalize and body up).

High humidity can cause condensation within the drums (particularly if the seals are not tight). On the B side this causes the foam to be lighter density and could cause foam cell distortion, on the A side, crystals form in the drum.

Shipping containers do work well, just add a heater and AC to keep the materials within the right temperature. Be sure to insulate it first.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.