Q&A Forums

Spray/Relief valves e-20 Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Jan 08, 2008 04:28 PM
Spray/Relief valves e-20
I think my spray relief valves went out on my e-20. Has anyone had this happen to them and what happened when they went out?
Dave Strnad
Posted: Jan 08, 2008 05:12 PM
I have heard that these are a problem. I was told not to use them when I bought mine. I think the newer ones have different valves on them. You can accomplish the same thing at the gun block so they really aren't necessary except for safety. Typically it is the A side that goes and it will seep out the relif hose causing you to go off ratio and error code e-24.
Posted: Jan 08, 2008 05:41 PM
Thanks for the tip. so do you block off where the valves are then?
Dave Strnad
Posted: Jan 08, 2008 08:29 PM
NO.. Replace them just then don't use them to balance the system. I believe they are preset to relive the pressue if something goes haywire and your pressure spikes over 2000psi.
Posted: Jan 08, 2008 08:41 PM
so you always have them in the spray position. after you shut the pump off you relieve the pressure out through the gun then? Thanks for all the help!
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Jan 08, 2008 10:34 PM
Mine just went on my B side. I use it frequently. I open when I recirculate in jog mode and i use it to balance any pressure differential upon start-up or to bleed off the pressure at shut down to allow me to park the pumps. Why wouldn't I use it? Safest way in my opinion and you don't waste or lose material.

Tim
Michael Flander
Posted: Jan 09, 2008 09:46 AM
Tim is correct, absolutely no reason at all to not use them. The plastic seal that seals the valve to the manifold is typically the failpoint. Their is a new design available that is color coded(red for a and blue for b) and has a grease zert on them to allow you to grease them. This should definitely help improve longevity. Give me a call, I have them in stock.

Also, were you sure this is what went out? Is fluid coming out of the white hose that is attached to it while you are spraying? If you have a recirc line hooked up, disconnect it at the valve and spray a little, is fluid leaking?

Also, do not plug the outlet of the relief valve, it is designed to be the breaking point in an overpressure situation, and plugging it could be dangerous. Same goes for the rupture disk on the heaters.

Dave: In theory it could be more expensive not to use them because if you don't, you either have to relieve pressure through the gun which could cause a crossover, or you have to remove the gun and use the manifold, which exposes the gun to air, which could also cause problems. Not to mention the time it takes, a few minutes a day adds up over a year. Again, just my thoughts, I have no way to prove this :).

Thanks,
Mike Flander
762-428-5075
Dave Strnad
Posted: Jan 09, 2008 12:02 PM
It would be handy to plumb it all in. How often are you guys replacing the valves? It does seem like if you use it figure on replacing it regularly. Which I suppose is just part of business as long as it is not too often

Mike,
How much are the new valves with the grease fittings? I've heard they are better.
Michael Flander
Posted: Jan 09, 2008 04:21 PM
They are a new release Dave, so on a widescale basis I can't give you hard evidence. However, I have personally talked to several who have prototyped this design for quite some time now, and they are still going strong with no troubles what-so-ever.

The fact of the matter is that adding lithium grease to the seals of the "A" side will make it last longer, I don't think anyone would really argue that.

Plumbing it all in is rather simple, and you can even plumb the hose into the recirc system to help heat it up faster and to make purging air easier.

Mike
Posted: Jan 09, 2008 05:00 PM
I did put new valves in and it fixed the problem. I have a spider set up from superior spray systems in AR. It has an e-20 with tanks on the sides that you put the A & B into so you don't have to use the transfer pumps when you spray. So I don't know if it is the typical set up. How do you let the pressure out of the system if you do not use these valves then? You could let all pressure out through the gun but then you are wasting chemical.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.