Q&A Forums

Spraying metal building Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
armorfoam
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 03:55 AM
Spraying metal building
Whats your stance on thermal or ignition barrier for a metal shop with closed cell foam sprayed?
mason
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 01:27 PM
Any inhabited space needs a thermal barrier, particularly a metal shop where you would expect welding and cutting forces being used. C heck out SPFA's Thermal Barrier paper at spray foam.org

armorfoam
Posted: Jan 11, 2018 07:12 PM
I see a lot of metal buildings in Texas where I live used as business’ and they will have a thermal barrier (drywall) going up so high and then uncovered closed cell on the ceiling with what looks like a paint, I am assuming intumescent paint as a ignition barrier. Is that code?
mason
Posted: Jan 15, 2018 01:47 PM
Most of the intumescent coatings can be used as an alternative to thermal barriers. They are typically installed to a greater thickness. For example DC 315 at dry film thickness ranging from 12 to 15 dry mils has been tested and approved over dozens of foams as an alternative to a thermal barrier. It qualifies as an alternative to an ignition barrier at 3-5 dry mil thickness.
Mister
Posted: Jan 18, 2018 02:48 AM
Armorfoam.

You will likely experience resistance to the added expense associated with coating foam in metal building if you are working with many clients. Best to hold the position of the industry standard, which is to coat any exposed foam with a thermal barrier. For more detailed situations like lightly used attics you can consult your local code for guidance. But adopting a form that states that you clearly stated the need for a thermal barrier, and including it as an option in your proposal, is important. If they decline the thermal barrier, you need to make sure that they understand the need for it and remove yourself from any liabilities that may be associated with a foam application with no thermal barrier on exposed foam with occupants. Otherwise I would walk away from the project.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.