Q&A Forums

Spraying 2'' of cc to INSIDE of seafood cooler Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
daniel kempton
Posted: Sep 07, 2009 11:04 AM
Spraying 2'' of cc to INSIDE of seafood cooler
I've been contacted about spraying 2'' of closed cell sprayfoam to the inside of a seafood cooler. The outside of the cooler is not available. I know that I will have to coat the foam with an ignition barrier. Are there any specifications not only with codes, but also the board of health? Any input or suggestions will be a great help. This is my first go around with this type of application.
mason
Posted: Sep 07, 2009 07:55 PM
Yes, lots of regulation and things to consider. First be sure to spray a vapor barrier on the wall before spraying the foam. Next use a thermal barrier coating that is USDA approved for food service. There are a couple out there that can be spray applied or you can stud out the wall and use a fiberglass board (similar to the type you see in gas station bathrooms)

Check out the SPFA document AY 110, Cold storage guidelines using SPF. I wrote that document more than 22 years ago and it contains design details and helpful information
daniel kempton
Posted: Sep 07, 2009 08:36 PM
I'm not familiar at all with vapor barriers, are there any that are foam specific??
Posted: Sep 08, 2009 08:56 PM
Hi Mason

If it is a prefab cooler, why would a vapor barrier be required between the metal panels and foam?
Matt Kenner
Posted: Sep 09, 2009 08:59 AM
Mason,

Do you know of any USDA or FDA approved thermal barrier coatings for this type of application?
mason
Posted: Sep 09, 2009 11:52 AM
There is a product called Stayflex manufactured by Preferred Solutions in Ohio that has passed the thermal barrier tests (ASTM E 119) and is USDA approved. There may be others. They should be listed in SprayFoamMagazine.com's Buyers Guide.

Metal panels may have air and moisture leaks through cracks and crevices between the panels. You would want to make sure those are sealed well with a vapor retarder caulk such as butyl rubber before installing the foam. Metal is a vapor retarder and does not require an additional retarder element. Plus depending on the size, you may want to add some flexible membrane vapor retarder type flashing to the wall/ceiling or wall/floor intersections.

Check out the SPFA guidelines on Cold Storage for details.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.