Q&A Forums

Spray foam over granite rock Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Edward Brassington
Posted: Jul 13, 2009 07:35 PM
Spray foam over granite rock
Mason
I have a client that has built a new house with a large granite rock protruding into the crawlspace. The rock was power washed before the house was built a year ago. Now that the house is finished there is a mouldy smell in the crawlspace, there is also visible mould growing on the soil that was not washed of completely. Moisture is seeping through the rock compounding the problem.

My suggestion is to remove the mould, cover the rock with 6 mil vapour barrier and then spray three inches of two pound foam on the crawlspace floor. I figure the vapour barrier will allow the moisture to follow the path that it always has (below the vapour barrier). The rock is too wet to allow the foam to adhere properly, I also sugested removing the fiberglass from the framed foundation walls and replacing that with spray foam. The fiberglass is already showing signs of mould after one winter.

The crawl space houses the furnace and plumbing. There is excessive condensation on the plumbing and water softening system.

Would my idea be a good solution, or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks
ED Brassington

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.