Q&A Forums

SPF Installer or Insulator? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Dave Strnad
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 10:20 PM
SPF Installer or Insulator?
Just out of curiousity and to help persude me one way or another on buying more equipment.
How many of you guys just install foam and how many are all around insulators installing cellulose, fiberglass,spf,etc. It seems I keep losing jobs to the all around insulator. I sell them on the spray foam, just not on the whole job so they hire someone that can do it all. I suppose if I were a good enough salesman then I would have got them to use all foam. The last three jobs I bid the people said they would have hired me if did wall spray cellulose too. I have tried to work with other guys that install the other products, but that never works out. Part of me has a hard time installing a product I just said was inferior on the other hand if they are going to go with it anyway, it might as well be me making the money. I would have the same time and money involved in getting to the bid so it seems like a no brainer. What are you guys installing?
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 11:17 PM
I just do spf. I don't enjoy doing any other insulation. I do other jobs in the construction field if I need work, framing or roofing.
works 4 me.
Timothy Sonney
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 11:59 PM
We just do Spray Foam, 99.9% of it is 2lb cc. You may need to work on your pitch, and bring some documentation on the benefits of using foam compaired to the others.

It's a numbers game, We only expected to get about 7% of all the quotes that we do, but with our pitch that we have, we are getting about 22% of the quotes.

Its all about education, and knowledge of your product. If you have further questions its easier on the phone
Dave Strnad
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 07:32 AM
Thanks for the input. Perhaps my numbers are not that bad, I am averaging 1 out of 7 jobs I bid. This seems bad compared to the other services I offer which is less than 1 out of 3 jobs bid. The issues that seem to be holding me up on my bids are the grey areas. Most people are not comfortable applying less than perscribed R-values, but then locally some inspectors have not been allowing more than 4" of closed cell due to E-84, but also want an R-38. I addition when I try to calculate the payback time it seems like it is between 10-15 years instead of 3-5 years, so i have just been leaving it out. How do you guys calculate the payback time?
Luke Kujacznski
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 07:42 AM
My company only does sprayfoam, but I developed a relationship with a large all around insulator because we do a lot of combo jjobs. It has worked out great. I sell jobs and include them and they sell jobs for me. In fact they sold 20k worth of work for me last month. What I realized is that they can get to a lot od builders that I never would have gotten to( because I didn't know about the jib or they will not give me the time of day) So these alreay have relationships with most of the big builders and it just became a matter of slowly converting them to all foam. It has to be the right company and you have to work at it but I have made a lot of money doing combination jobs. Give me a call if you want any more details.

Luke
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 07:39 PM
When you say "combo job" do you mean hybrid installations where you install the foam and they install the other stuff?

That isn't a bad idea, I have been in touch with several prospective customers who were interested in hybrids but I only install foam so I am only good for half the job. Networking would definitely be beneficial

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Luke Kujacznski
Posted: Jul 28, 2007 10:11 AM
By combo job I am talking about one, two or even three systems in the same house. For example. I foam 1-1.5 inches in the walls 3 inches in the rims and 4 inches in all vaulted ceilings. Then the celluose guys come in and fill out the wall cavity with wall spray celluose. and then come back after drywall goes up and blow an r-49 ceiling. that is what I call a combo job. great way to increase your volume and meet builder you could have never talked to before.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jul 28, 2007 10:49 PM
We install Spray foam and also cellulose. We also use sound retention on various applications.

Spray foam is our mainstay. Cellulose is a complimentary product.

og
Dave Strnad
Posted: Jul 29, 2007 09:02 PM
Thanks for all the input. I do think that I am going to add cellulose to the line up. I have have tried working with other installers and that never worked out. All of the ligitamit Insulators in my area do it all including spf. I would say that most bids are three trips once to measure, once to present, and once to answer more questions or for changes, etc. Of the jobs I bid some decided not to go with any spf, so it would be nice to be able profit on some of those and get more of the combo jobs.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.