Q&A Forums

Sound barriers Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Sep 16, 2006 12:02 PM
Sound barriers
When installing open cell as a sound barrier, what is the optimal thickness for installing between floors and between rooms?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Sep 17, 2006 09:33 AM
6" between floors.

Ultra touch works well in interior walls.
Posted: Sep 20, 2006 06:23 AM
good advice olger...

it is difficult to find rockers that will come in and rock one side of the walls to facilitate foam application, pull out while the foaming process proceeds, and then come back to finish the job..
so..
my custom builders typically use filterglass batts on all interior walls for sound, filter glass in subfloors (lots of mechanicals in these and it would be easier to R&R with the glass...)
is this a comprimise..yes,,,but such is life..
it would be "ideal" to apply 6" in the subfloor before the mechanicals were set,,but the plumbers, electricians and hvac peeps would have a cow...there is plenty of depth,,and foam aint cement...which reminds me..
we pour 1" gypcrete to the floors to deaden sound and help prevent squeeking floors...
'dude
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Sep 20, 2006 09:42 AM
The gypcrete sounds good, too.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Sep 20, 2006 09:45 AM
If cost is no object, we like the Econo Mat sound barrier. The 1-lb mat is about 1.88 per ft² (material cost). The 2-lb mat is more better. Costly stuff.

`ol Ger
Posted: Nov 29, 2006 01:17 PM
Is open cell a better sound barrier than closed cell? If using closed cell, how thick should it be applied between floors?
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 29, 2006 08:36 PM
BW: Open cell is much better. Don't use rigid for sound retention. Use it for premium insulation.

oG
Shawn Faherty
Posted: Jul 09, 2010 05:51 AM
One Inch of Gypcrete?

How much does that cost a square foot? Does it have to be that thick?

Is there anyway to get actual sound testing results of all this stuff. Seems the open/closed information isn't controversial, so I'll assume open is better from user experience (cheaper too). But am I going to hear every bird take a dump on my roof because I used closed cell on the exterior walls? What am I going to do, I live in the city?
Thanks....
Posted: Jul 09, 2010 07:02 AM
these places are designed with a double base plate...1 1/2"..so they pour 1 1/2"...
it is usually used in conjuction with radiant tubeing for even transfer of the heat,,,
no you will not hears birds dumpin on your home...
it will be significantly quieter,,open cell or closed cell in the the sides, lid or whereever...
remember sound moves via air xmission and by vibration,,hence the low density products are better than the high density products,,,but either will be better than the framing/structural members alone...
it is the expansive nature of foam application that makes it excel due to its propensity to get into the minute cracks and crevices and stop the transfer via air-borne..
we dont use closed cell foam for sound control as it,,in theory,,would tend to xmit low freq sound a little more....but in the world my closed cell structures are way quieter than filterglass homes...
dont make more of this than what it is,,frame it,,foam it,,forget about it,,,increased thermal perforance,,,reduced carbon foot print,,sound reduction,,,you aint buildin a sound studio here,,
(??and can you do it cheap???)

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.