Q&A Forums

Required Thickness of Closed Cell Foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
CHARLES MAURO
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 05:24 PM
Required Thickness of Closed Cell Foam
Hi Mason,
If the owner of a residential home is requesting closed cell SPF for their attic, crawlspace, and/or basement cement walls, (this being a retrofit job since the home was built many years ago), as an SPF Applicator, am I required to spray to the thickness which meets the current building code, or do I have any other options on the thickness that can be applied? In addition, if the crawl space is not used for any storing or electrical/mechanical equipment since it is only 3 1/2 in height, do I still need to apply a thermal barrier?

Thanks for the clarification!
mason
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 09:16 PM
You are required to comply with building codes. But, remember the building codes allow you to provide performance tests on the foam that demonstrate that it is more effective. So for example, the code official may review the ATI wall performanced testing or the ORNL attic performance testing (sponsored and coordinated by SPFA) and determine that the data suggests that the foam may be installed in less than the prescribed R value. But, it is up to the code official to accept or reject the data.
mason
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 09:18 PM
As for the requirement for ignition barrier in crawl spaces. The code says that it is required in crawl spaces where access is provided for service of uttilities. My discussions with ICC staff has convinced me that if there is a hatch or opening that they would consider that for service of utilities and therefore require the ignition barrier.
CHARLES MAURO
Posted: Aug 16, 2009 08:56 AM
Thanks for your time and quick response!! Greatly Apreciated!

Charlie
jimcoler

I have over 10 years of experience specifying and installing open and closed cell spray foam. I've sold my business but I'm still selling for the new owners and consulting on large and custom specific jobs. 

I've expanded my knowledge into t

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 12:53 PM
Ignition barrier will be required on all foams as of June 1, 2010. Some foams currently meet code without this by meeting SWRI 99-02 Attic and Crawl Test. There's been lots of dicussion about this issue on this forum that gives the background of this issue. So, if you happen to be spraying a foam which meets the SWRI 99-02 currently, and you do the job before June 1, 2010, you don't need the ignition barrier.

I would encourage you to get involved with the SPFA and this issue because it's not done yet and the SPFA has agreed to do further more realistic testing and submit a revised proposal based on this testing. The more of you involved, the better, because then our voices are heard and it's not just the manufacturers who have something to gain from their decisions.
mason
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 02:09 PM
SPFA held a webinar last month on the Task Group work on the new fire tests. Jesse Beitel provided information on how the test parameters were selected and test data while SPFA staff provided background on other factors concerning the program. I believe the webinar presentation is still available via a link Contact SPFA for more information.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.