Q&A Forums

Reaction Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Harry S
Posted: Sep 01, 2009 11:16 AM
Reaction
Mason
Last summer we sprayfoamed my sons' house with 2lb closed cell. It's a partial walkout & in order to qualify for rebate we had to spray the concrete walls in the lower level (1-2")but we haven't studded & drywalled yet. It's been almost 11 months since they moved in. Is is possible in any way there is a reaction from the foam that might be causing them to be getting sick? He has an air exchanger & uses it. There's no smell at all from the foam & yet he, his wife & both kids have gotten sick with bronchitis since they moved in the house. Any info good or bad would be appreciated. Thanks
mason
Posted: Sep 01, 2009 12:24 PM
It doesn't sound like a typical reaction from foam. And without any odor I would discount a lingering effect.

It sounds coincidental to me unless they received a massive exposure to the fumes and mist while it was being installed.

I would check out other possibilities such as pet dander, dust, smoke, etc. Maybe the air exchanger is not working properly.

Did you do any drywall work, if so dust from the drywall applications can accumulate in the ducts for a long time. In that case go to a higher efficiency filter in your ventilaton system.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Sep 01, 2009 10:38 PM
With Mason mentioning drywall, I seem to remember some news story about Chinese drywall making the new homeowners sick. Could this be the case? Is there a rotton egg smell anytime?

George

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.