Q&A Forums

Radon Reduction Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Circle-D
Posted: Feb 18, 2008 12:27 PM
Radon Reduction
Hi Mason,
Recently I have been spraying a basement in a large public building with radon issues. They are using my foam to seal the basement and will install a positive pressure ventilation system to keep the radon from the building. I asked the engineer for the radon test results from the use of the foam. The room they tested went from "in excess of 100 pic/l to less than 10 pci/l". This was from a small local testing firm. Are there any nationally accredited testing labs that have performed these types of tests? If so where may I find the results. This could be another great selling point for foam insulation. Skip
mason
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 02:12 PM
I have a fairly large file about Radon, its causes, how to test for it, and even a specification for using SPF in controling it. But, I do not have any lab reports on using SPF to control Radon.

You might try calling one of the chemical producers such as BASF, Dow Chemical, Huntsman, etc.
Circle-D
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 07:02 AM
Is this specifaction public information or can you share it? E-mail me directly if you wish.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 07:24 AM
skip,,dont forget the moisture vapor impermience value that a good 2" lift of spray foam affords to these applications...an additional selling point,,,
mason
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 07:45 AM
The specification was written in the 80s by a Radon remediation firm. I don't have an electronic copy. I will be out of the office til Feb 29 and at that time can scan it and send it to you. Email your address to me at masonknowles@aol.com.

I can't vouch for the specification. Again, contact some of the larger suppliers to see if they have research to assist you.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.