Q&A Forums

R49 Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Shane Mueller
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 01:29 PM
R49
I am looking at spray foam for a new construction job. Our county requires R49 attic insulation. Is there any way to achieve this with spray foam without breaking the bank?
mason
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 02:15 PM
Obtain a copy of the ORNL attic performance testing of SPF from SPFA. In the testing, SPF performed 30% better than fibeglass installed to the floor of the attic. A building code official is allowed to accept performance equivalents of the prescriptive requirement, if the testing demonstrates that other design or materials performs as well or better with less R value.

They don't have to accept the testing but many contractors have been successful referencing this to code officials.

If you have trouble obtaining the test report email me at masonknowles@aol.com
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 07:20 AM
right on mason!!
most code officials want to work with their builders,,,and if you can provide them with "adequate documentation" they will usually allow the application in question...everyone want to get along when playin in the sandbox...
Robert Webster
Posted: Mar 02, 2008 04:43 PM
What is an adequate amount of opencell foam (thickness) when spraying above ceiling of living space in new residential when R values and code don't apply? project located in zone 5
Darren Gomez
Posted: Mar 12, 2008 02:11 AM
can you please send me the ORNL attic performance testing of SPF from SPFA document dgomez@lahsllc.com.

Thanks,

Darren
Robert Webster
Posted: Mar 16, 2008 02:00 PM
Thanks mason... last question on this subject if you were constructing a new home in central MN with no code requirements how much open cell foam would you put on topside of sheetrock??? and would you cover it with anything else?
mason
Posted: Mar 17, 2008 08:46 AM
You would cover it with an ingnition barrier. I would most likely want around 6-8 inches of open cell

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.