Q&A Forums

quoting Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Josh Lowman
Posted: Apr 09, 2006 11:59 AM
quoting
What is the best way to measure a job. To measure board ft. of a plain wall is easy. But how do you accuratly figure a residential home. I assume you want to measure just the sprayed surface. Do you measure a stud wall and figure board ft., then subtract a percentage for the studs(area not being sprayed).
Ryan Rhoads
Posted: Apr 09, 2006 09:00 PM
Some people subtact 10% from there square footage. I however just subtract windows and doors and come out almost right on the money. You lose a little B.F. from studs but by the time you figure in taping and clean up it almost washes. I do not charge extra for these things I just take it out of that 10%.
Trey Gibson
Posted: Apr 09, 2006 09:14 PM
Good question, I wonder the same thing. I know some people go by the AC square footage of the house and others go by board feet of sprayed area. I measure sprayed surface - a percentage for windows and doors. SOme houses have a lot more windows than others. I don't take anything out for the studs. I did have one home owner want me to take a percentage out for the studs on his roof deck. I didn't take the job, if it starts out like that it probobly won't get any better throughout the job if you know what I mean.
Posted: Apr 09, 2006 11:38 PM
i measure perimeter and multiply by height for gross sq ft..deduct for window and door and other unsprayed penitrations..to arise at a sprayed sq ft number times my price for depth of appliation...
casual observation: most residentials have about 1/4th of their gross deducted for winders and doors..funny how they always seem to wash that way..some of the larger customs have many more windows, and so i use the 1/4 deduct as they all got to be covered and the headers sprayed and planed..time is money and i have been in many a great room with 25-30 ft sides,,most all windows..so i need the consideration for the extra time..
i do occassionally get asked if i "deduct for the studs",,,well we "touch" every one in the cleanup process,,so no...we dont deduct..foamer1 was right on...this is a potential for a "firm grip on a loser"...and if they dont get it with a casual explanation,,bid high,,real high...10% of your clients will provide 90% of your problems,,,why invite more

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.