Q&A Forums

Quick question about trailer height Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Bryan Tomczyk
Posted: Mar 01, 2012 09:01 AM
Quick question about trailer height
Its me again. I was told for a spray foam rig that the interior height has to be 7ft so you can get the transfer pumps into the 55gal drums. I have been looking around and i can find trailers with a 6ft 6in ceiling height. Is this what they are talking about or are they custom built trailers with 7ft ceilings.
Caleb DeFord
Posted: Mar 01, 2012 04:02 PM
B&D,
You are asking good questions but you are doing it the hard way.
Your question has already been discussed on here, just search the forums and you will find out all you want to know.
Take advantage of a good thing, bro.
-Foamilyman
John Shockney
Posted: Mar 01, 2012 06:24 PM
depends on what pump you use, if you can tip the pump over the 6 6 trailer is ok

my trailer is only 6ft 6in high with no problems.

Interstate trailers in White Pigeon, MI will build whatever you want for a good price, they built mine with a 6inch higher deck so I have more ground clearance to get in and out of construction sites (they never put in a driveway until last thing)

Airpro
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Mar 02, 2012 09:40 AM
Some pumps have a reduced foot valve, so that you can go into the drum at an angle. The most common ones I have sold with that feature that work with 80" of clearance is an OP242CD by IPM > www.ipmpumps.com. It used to state 78" in their brochure but I think they have since modified it. Most rig builders will order 7 or 7 1/2' ceiling height for this reason.
Bryan Tomczyk
Posted: Mar 03, 2012 09:57 AM
Foamilyman - I appreciate any and all info that people supply to me. I have gone through a bunch of the archives, but most of the info that I find for questions I have date back to 2008 or 2009. I re-ask the questions hoping that spray foam technology has changed for the better in the past 3-4years. I hope I'm not coming off rude thats not my intent, just wanted to explain why I am asking my questions so other people wouldn't think that I am just asking questions with out looking for the info first. Thanks again for taking the time to read my post and answer questions. Every one on here has been a huge help.

Bryan
mark moyer
Posted: Mar 04, 2012 05:50 PM
...and some of us never lift a pump in the trailer...each drum has a pump in it,,you can rig a short xfer hose to pump from the back drum to the forward spraying drum while the trigger man is workin,,xfer thru the 3/4 bung,,,raise the drum pump to vent(hillbilly)..
now you have to dump closed cell resin real slow and we dont really top more than 3/4 to avoid froth from the agitation of the xfer...slow strokein is the way,,and good eyes if you got hot resin,,,
now then,,,you aint raisin pumps in your rig,,mucg less exposure to the raw materials,,,which is where the hazards are...
and you dont miss a stroke...you keep on sprayin,,nominal investment,,but if you buy 4xferpumps i bet the goddess would shoot you one heck of a deal,,

big trailer upgrade=XXX$$$$
periodic roof vent and roof repair from bloodynose approaches...priceless,,,

2 stickpumps,,,less than a lawnmower...
Caleb DeFord
Posted: Mar 04, 2012 08:14 PM
B&D,
Ask all the questions you want to, pal. You don't have to defend yourself for asking questions, just so long as you don't mind a few abrasive answers.:-)
If you're as impatient as I am, waiting for someone to write back would be irritating. Especially when you might be able to just look it up.
The thread I referred to earlier is linked at left.
btw, if you use diaphragm pumps, you won't have to worry about clearance. Some guys hate diaphragm pumps, but I've been using them for 5+ years now without a rebuild or a problem, except when I was first spraying and I neglected to grease the bung on the A side....that was a little bit of a problem.
-Foamilyman
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Mar 04, 2012 08:30 PM
I remember you always buying loads of pumps, now I know why - lol I thought damn what's his guys doing to the pumps.
mark moyer
Posted: Mar 05, 2012 06:03 AM
4 in 2 trailers
2 on the rack backup
hmm,,do i need 2 more for the buildout ,,,shoot i forgot...need to looky at the rack...

stock in ipm
have sold a few to the foam distrib for his peeps
trashed/bent/broke more than i care to think,,(who needs parts..lol)
diaphrams rock..watch for a cavitation on the resin with the cc when its hot,,,right foamily...
John Shockney
Posted: Mar 06, 2012 07:01 PM
Sounds like a plan dude. But I have never sprayed foam so fast that I couldn’t take a break and swap drums out. I do have a transfer system and pump the last inch or so into the next drum that I am using.

I use two diaphragm pumps, one on the Iso, one for open cell, and a 2 to 1 stick pump for my closed cell.
I have a three way valve to switch from open cell to closed cell.

My transfer pump system is very simple I just removed the pipe plugs from the ‘Y’ strainers and install a ball valve type boiler drain that you can attach a short garden hose to. No you can transfer chem or recirculate it to warm it up or mix the open cell.

Airpro

My diaphragm pumps have been in service for 7 years now with no repairs but I think I will get a backup pump.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.