Q&A Forums

Question about application process??? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Dec 18, 2007 08:08 PM
Question about application process???
I recently went to check out a job. That I was suppose to be spraying. Only to find out somebody else was already doing it. GRRR, oh well.
However there techniques in spraying were rather odd to me. They were putting up a 6 mil plastic and clamping a expanded metal grate or screen however u want to call it, to the wall then using pour in system. Nice cuz u can see what your doing however you still have to shave the foam. Seems like a lot of extra work to me and it doesn’t seem like you would get the adhesion that I find is a critical in dealing with foam. So I guess my question is has anyone ever seen foam applied this way before??? And if so what are the pros and cons?? Any input would be gratefully appreciated

Ryan
Posted: Feb 11, 2008 02:24 PM
There is a video on YOU TUBE that shows how the system works, and is a sales pitch for the expanded panels. I don't recal the title of the video clip but if you do a video search in Google for SPRAY FOAM it will pop up "??? PANEL"
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Feb 12, 2008 07:22 AM
The next time I get a job for the 1/2lb foam, I'm going to try this technique. I first saw this here about a year ago. I mainly spray closed cell foam. The open cell foam jobs come by once in a while, and after doing them the other way I think it will be worth the effort to try the plastic and lattice.
You need two guys (or more)regardless. You still need to shave it, but you don't have much to shave.
My first job with open cell foam we could barely fit all the bags a shavings into the trailer when we were done!! It was packed full! That can't happen again!! We have gotten better at spraying but still have to bid higher because of waste. I figure 25% waste with oc.
Good Luck
michael bergin
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 08:52 PM
the video is on the following youtube site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Vn423WvZM

I would image its a good thing that the customer is not seeing and thinking that 25% of the product that he is paying for is been cut down and taken away.
Thomas Kasper
Posted: Feb 13, 2008 09:40 PM
My understanding is the foam is a little denser doing it this way. Just think, if you pump to much foam into a area and it has nowhere to go, it will be denser. My personal calculations for waste may come down to 15-20% with some experience but, I'd start with 25% waste to cover myself..

Also this technique is only if the customer wants the cavity FULL, sometimes you only put 4" in a 6" cavity.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.