Q&A Forums

penta-BDE-free foams in Canada Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Sophie Kneisel
Posted: Jul 30, 2007 12:43 PM
penta-BDE-free foams in Canada
I am looking into various options for insulating a 150+ year-old home in southern Ontario, Canada. Spray foam appears to be a good option, but I am concerned that it may be the next urea formaldehyde. Having done some research, I am somewhat reassured, but would like to have the installer use foams that do not contain potentially harmful chemicals like penta-BDEs. Is there any way to ensure that the foam does not contain these fire retardants or other such chemicals?
I also need to have pointing (entire house) and some fairly serious work done on the brick on the east side of the house. Is brick work rendered impossible once foam is installed (the house is double brick in some places, single in others).
Thanks,
Sophie K
Posted: Jul 30, 2007 02:46 PM
as part of the CCMC approval process all foams sprayed in Canada are tested for VOC emissions during aging (48h)Can/ULC S-705.1-98. Contact your local applicator and see which product they spray. You can ask them to provide you with info on that specific foam (msds sheets).
mason
Posted: Jul 30, 2007 06:55 PM
Ask the material supplier if they use the Penta-borminated fire retardent (PBDE). From what suppliers tell me this is not as commonly used in the sprayfoam as in the flexible foam industry. There are two other brominated fire retardents as well. Deca and Octa BDEs. Penta is the one that is being regulated now but there are efforts to regulate Deca-BDE as well.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.