Q&A Forums

Overspray Shield Ideas? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Tim Adams
Posted: Jun 22, 2013 08:25 PM
Overspray Shield Ideas?
The 10' long x 6' PVC shields are too big. The vinyl tarp works well, the foam peels right off.

What do you guys use as a shield when you spray a roof edge?

Do you think it's better to be downwind with the shield to stop the overspray, or upwind to stop the wind.

Lastly, if you find yourself spraying in a marginal wind situation when it's below 10 mph but still a factor, I'm assuming your spray patterns should run perpendicular to the wind direction rather than parallel to it, right?
mason
Posted: Jun 27, 2013 11:01 AM
Also it is good to tape off below the edge of the roof if possible to minimize any overspray when moving your shield.

Shields can be made of almost anything even cardboard. Just make sure to spray the edge at an angle and not straight down. I agree a 10 ft shield is pretty hard to hold onto

If the roof has a wood fascia, you can nail a shield to the edge then spray to it and cut it off. This works well on small roofs such as residential or small commercial jobs.
Jesse Michalski
Posted: Sep 11, 2013 09:10 PM
My father in law is a tent maker, so we have access to large rolls of vinyl that can be heat welded. I like to use vinyl that has holes in it, like a screen. It allows the wind to very slightly pass thru, making the screen easier to hold, but it still keeps the integrity of the pattern for the sprayer and the roof stays smooth. We use this material on a pvc frame.

Using 2 screens is a nice system. One guy can hold one on the edge of the roof, while the second man isolates the wind as needed. Working in unison like this, the sprayer is free to move efficiently. The guy holding the screen at the perimeter focuses on that. The guy shielding wind also holds the hose on his shoulder so the sprayer is free to work.

It may seem like too many guys, but the three man minimum crew is the way to go. I've worked with contractors that are too busy to field enough guys on the job and guess what, the detail shop gets a call for 20 cars.

If you have a good sprayer, he makes money. (2) 5x6.5 windscreens 6 feet wide represents the width of the sprayer's row. It may even be a bit narrower as he gets fatigued.

If you don't want your screens getting gummed up with foam, take 5 minutes in the morning and throw some light mil plastic on them and tape it tight. Then just peel the foam off as it builds up for a fresh clean edge.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.