Q&A Forums

overhead door Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Harry S
Posted: Apr 13, 2009 09:23 AM
overhead door
I've got a bid on a steel bldg with a 12x16 overhead door. We've done quite a few steel bldgs with success but this owner wants me to also spray the oh door. Has anyone done this and ifso, what can I expect? Thanks in advance
Terrance Harris
Posted: Apr 17, 2009 02:55 PM
Drape or tape the rollers, cables, roller channels, and anything else you don't want foam on. Drape overhead springs, cable drums, etc. Tape the horizontal panel joints. Convince the owner 1" maximum should only be sprayed on the door. Spray the door and remove drapeing. Cut out the taped joints and remove excess foam. Overhead door springs may now have to be adjusted by door installer as it is now slightly heavier.
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 10:22 AM
expect it to be a pia,,,
expect them to want you to do it for the sidewall price,,,
expect it to take longer to prep, shoot, and clean up the door, hardqare, track & openers than it does to do the 30x14 wall,,,
expect them to ****** if you get overspay on anything,,,(dont forget to mask the side reveal,,and maybe even a foot or two around the exterior door perimeter sideing if the wind is blowin)
expect to buy a new door if you do booger it up...
expect them to expect you to buy a new door if you booger it up and they did the prep work to keep the cost down and to keep you from ******in about having to prep it your self,,,
expect it to be a great application,,,creating an insulated door that works well in controlling the loss of heat or cool thru the door,,,

as the previous gentleman said,,give it a 1" lift of cc or there abouts,,,tell them you intend on it being "short of full cavity" (if they want full cavity,,triple your price,,buy a quick plane and shoot away..lol),,,
tell them they may see some "stress cracks" at the frameing/foam interface over time as these large slideing doors have a lot of racking and twisting goin on,,even with the cc foam in place,,,

hope this helps...lol

'dude

"you got to know when to hold em,,,know when to fold em,,,,"

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.