Q&A Forums

On-Site Training Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
sprayaway
Posted: Apr 18, 2010 01:45 PM
On-Site Training
Sprayworks Equipment Group, LLC

What is one of the biggest issues for the new spray foam Contractor who wants to start a new business or already into their first few years?

Support, Training and Continued Education!

When most people come into the spray foam insulation and roofing industry it’s all about cost of equipment, getting introduced to the process, some training, finding jobs and off you go. With high ambition and expectations of success everyone is sure to enjoy the fruits of their labor. Wait a minute! Was this harder or more complicated than you thought? Well you did a lot of homework and paid attention to how most everything works and besides that I do get some help when I call the people that sold me the equipment. Then why are you having problems.

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD OF ROOFING AND FOAM INSULATION!

Most problems begin within the first and second jobs and escalate into a never ending cycle that slowly spirals downhill over a period of time into not showing enough profit for all of the hard work, expenses and efforts. Or maybe you decided to switch from being an Insulation Contractor into a Roofing Contractor because of the higher profit margins and less competition. Get ready for another set back.

In the old days of spray foam insulation and roofing there was hardly any one to talk to about the trade and you simply learned by the mistakes that you made. We learned everything the hard way and paid for it dearly. Spray foam was too expensive for most home owners and as a roofing system was not acceptable to the main stream roofing community.

Today, acceptability, cost and longevity of these systems is part of a thriving main stream industry and good Contractors are very much in demand. Just look at the many publication with article after article of success stories. How do they do it?

They understand how much value there is in getting the rite support and how to use it!

Any Distributor can build trailers and sell equipment, provide basic training and offer materials, but how many have the years of actual experience installing roofing and insulation and are truly qualified? Not as many as you might think.

One of the best investments that a new or seasoned Contractor can make is having a highly trained expert assist them on their first project or several projects. What most experts bring with them is a wealth of knowledge, safety, project management and good old fashion know-how. Smart Contractors realize that they actually make more money and learn more at a very low cost and end up with a friend to call with their questions. Contractors can take advantage of having this kind of expert on staff for a day. Most experts will spray, train and educate the whole crew with equipment, trouble shooting, project management and the latest knowledge in production applications. This is not expensive considering that most people spend $50,000.00 to $150,000.00 or more just to get started in the business.

THE UPSIDE OF ON-SITE TRAINING.

1. Safety – Making sure that equipment and man power perform work according to OSHA standards.

2. Increase the knowledge base of the applicators and crew to function efficiently.

3. Increase the production capability of the crew as a work force.

4. Introduce the latest methods of application to make a better product.

5. Reinforce the good qualities, goals and expectations.

These fundamentals can only be demonstrated effectively on an actual project site.

What should be the qualifications of an on-site expert?

1. Most individuals with at least 15 years of actual field work experience.

2. Individuals that thoroughly know OSHA requirements.

3. Individuals that thoroughly know building science, building construction, building code and building materials.

4. Individuals with a track record and references for you to contact.

5. Individuals that are recognized within your industry by many of the product manufacturers.

6. Individuals that are thoroughly knowledgeable using a variety of equipment, spray guns and pumping mechanisms.

If you are thinking about becoming a spray foam Contractor or want to expand into spray foam roofing, stop for a moment, and consider who can help you the most before and after the shine has worn off the equipment. Consider the cost of trial and error if you are on your own. Consider the costs that lead to greater success.

Sprayworks Equipment
info@sprayfoamservices.com
330-353-5822
Posted: Apr 19, 2010 07:38 PM
Hey Dave

I couldn't agree more. I have never sprayed next to someone who actually knew what they were doing. I probably sprayed 150 sets of 3 Pound last year and close to half that so far this year.

I have never even worked with someone on a roof who was truly a Spray Foam Roofer. For better or for worse I started as an owner and never hired someone from within the business.

The shame of this is that everything that I have learned is from either trial and error (Just in case anyone is not familiar with this term, it means a whole lot of work and sometimes doing the same thing twice just to get it right) or by asking Dennis, yourself, Mason and my good friend and salesperson at Chemical Design, Tom Shackelford.

I can't tell you how much it is worth to me personally to get you guys down here just for a day or two.

Mechanically and Electrically, there is nothing you can throw at me that I can't fix or figure out. I can pull the trigger with the best of them, but it is those little shortcuts that makes the job easier that takes years of experience to learn on your own, and you guys can teach us as a matter of fact.

I want to make my job easier, not harder.

Look forward to getting you guys down here in the next couple of months.

Steve
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Apr 20, 2010 07:42 PM
There is absolutely nothing more valuable than hands-on, on-site training! It's not the equipment or what's in a book that makes a good applicator , it's actual job site experience! Imagine the experience gained by having someone actually showing you "how to" and then giving an explanation of why followed by you and your crew demonstrating their new found abilities. What's really great is that your doing all this while your on a job making money! So how much does it cost to learn? Not much if your learning and making money at the same time. I've had Dave help out on some of my own projects.
Thank's Dave..."Real World Experience" the only way to learn!
Posted: Jan 05, 2011 04:07 PM
There is going to be a show in Orlando, FL in May. Take a look at SprayFoamMagazine.com to find out more!

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.