Q&A Forums

OC CC threshold Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Angus McDougald
Posted: Feb 04, 2009 12:34 PM
OC CC threshold
I notice 1.7 pound foam in addition to 2 pound on suppliers website. At what pound does foam go from CC to OC? Could I find a 1 pound mix that I can call CC, AND double my volume? Is the 1.7 considered CC? Why would I want 2 pound if I can get 15% more volume out of 1.7?
mason
Posted: Feb 05, 2009 08:32 AM
Closed cell content of 90% or more is required to determine if a foam is considered closed cell. (according to ASTM C 1029; Standard Specification for Spray Applied Cellular Polyurethane Foam)

In the sprayfoam world closed cell foam typically ranges between 1.5 to 3.0 lb density. Between 1.5 to 2.0 there can be significant variations of physical properties of the foam that can affect its suitability in different applications and climates. For example, 1.5 lb density foam will typically have a compressive strength of around 15 psi, while a 1.8 to 2.0 density foam typically has a compressive strength of around 20 to 25 psi.

(note; formulas can vary even within the same company so be sure to read the material data sheet for their specific physical properties)

Dimensional stability can also vary due to density. Again the lower density closed cell foams usually have higher volume changes in hot humid and cold climates,

This is why in SPFA's cold storage guideline, they recommend a 2.0 lb density foam in freezers over a 1.5 lb density foam.

There are some 1.0 to 1.2 lb density foams being sold today. After reviewing the data sheets of two of them. one could be classified as a closed cell foam and one as an open cell foam. Compressive strengths were around 10 psi and I did not see a test for dimensional stability listed.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.