Q&A Forums

K13 Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Rob Granger
Posted: Jan 20, 2010 05:55 PM
K13
As an insulation installer I would like to learn more about K13. Anybody installing same could you give me a phone number or e-mail me at yesfoam@roadrunner.com

Thanks
Rob
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 09:53 AM
Rob
I'm a licensed applicator of K-13 products. I sent you an e-mail with some info about it. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Emory
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 11:26 AM
where are you located i might need some k-13 installed over some open cell
richard sucher II
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 11:46 AM
Richard - 515-480-8679 - certified International Cellulose applicator approx. fourteen years.
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 03:12 PM
I've installed K-13 and similar products for 30 years. Based in Ohio but we cover most of the Mid-West for commercial/industrial projects.
330-830-1440
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 05:36 PM
I was afraid to ask just in case I was supposed to be certified.

What is K-13?
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Jan 21, 2010 05:55 PM
Hi Steve

K-13 is a spray applied cellulose insulation installed with an adhesive. It can be applied directly to metal, wood, block, etc. The K-13 product line is designed to be left exposed on interior projects that are not going to have drywall or any other covering. Yes, it's fire resistant. In fact one of the K-13 products is approved as a thermal barrier over foam. I'm actually bidding a project tomorrow morning to install it over 72,000 sq ft of foam for another contractor. So anyone needing a thermal barrier over foam and don't want to pay the high prices of the coating, call me!
Paul Schroeder
Posted: Mar 17, 2010 08:23 AM
My company is breaking into the spray foam market and we were told by ICC that as of 1/1/2010 K-13 is no longer a approved thermal barrier. This is a National Code change and it will be enforced. The slightly more expensive Ure-K is the ONLY thing you are supposed to put over SPF. ICC refused to sell K-13 to us for this application. My 2 cents.
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 11:22 AM
Are you a Licensed K-13 applicator?
Ure-K from ICC is currently the only spray cellulose approved for use as a Tested thermal barrier over cc foam. 1 1/4" minimum thickness is a fully approved barrier.
ICC literature states:
Ure-K was tested and has been accepted by the National Code Bodies and Fire Insurance companies as a thermal barrier coating over polyurethane foam.
The following tests satisfied these requirements.
Full Scale Corner Test
Ure-K applied at 1" min. over 1 1/2" polyurethane foam approved as a 15 min barrier

ASTM E-119
Ure-K 1" min. over 3" polyurethane foam. Had a finished rating of 25 min. barrier.

Enclosed Room Test
Ure-K installed at 1" thick over foam. Temperatures inside room reached 2,013 degs. Length of test was 30 mins.
Ure-K did substantially remain in place

ASTM E84
Flame Spread......10
Smoke Developed...10

This is a great product that I use a lot. Because it's a good insulation it reduces the amount of foam needed. It's also a sound control & moisture control product. And it covers up any areas of ...less than perfect foam.
Dennis Davidson
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 11:52 AM
Although 1" was used in all testing, ICC requires that a minimum (not an average) of 1 1/4" be applied

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.