Q&A Forums

Insurance Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
John Carlson
Posted: Aug 09, 2006 02:20 PM
Insurance
I am trying to place liability insurance coverage for a sprayfoam contractor but have not had much success. Any suggestions regarding companies that are willing to provide the liability coverage?
Dave Strnad
Posted: Aug 09, 2006 03:32 PM
I am covered under my residential builder policy, general contractors policy etc. The only catch is that you must be a licensed builder. My agent says that under that policy I am allowed to do any part of the house, from concrete to roofing, with the exception of trades that need licenses(plumber, electricion. How do you insure other insulators, are policies that cover other insulators specific as to what type of insulation they apply? I'm not an insurance guy but I would have to guess that a policy for an insulator contractor would apply. I'm not sure why when people here spray foam it raises a red flag, from the research I have seen it seems like the guy installing fiberglass should be the one with the problem getting insurance.
John Carlson
Posted: Aug 09, 2006 03:55 PM
John Carlson
Posted: Aug 09, 2006 03:56 PM
Thank you for your response. Since you already had insurance as a contractor, your agent was correct that that policy would also cover you doing the insulation work. In my case, this is a new contractor and when I indicate that the work is spray on insulation, it raises all kinds of red flags. The concerns I have heard are is the application so tight that it could trap moisture and some underwriters have concerns about fumes in the case of a building fire. Underwriters tend to be hesitant to provide insurance until they can see the performance of a product over time.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Aug 13, 2006 07:03 AM
My insurance agent got me insurance coverage as an insulation contractor. He said that it didn't matter what kind of insulation I was doing.

George
Posted: Aug 15, 2006 09:56 PM
...and i heard that the world was gonna end at Y2k...same old crap,,different day...words from the wise based on assumptions, opinions, and mis/dis-formation...
re:to tight...current building science dictates to build tight and ventilate right..to manage the indoor air quality...seperating the indoor micro-environment from the outdoor environment...hence the terms "air barrier", "building envelope" and a multitude of other descriptive terms...
flame on...if a builder says "you are gonna make the building to tight" spend your time selling another builder,,,this dudes a caveman,,,flame off
re:fumes if a fire...foams applied to interior applications are typically of the class 1 fire rateing,,,the timbers in the structure are of a class 3 fire rateing...the foam in the couch cushions, the matress pad, the carpet pad the romex wire, the pvc drain/vent pipes and most all other plastics that can be(for some reason while spray foam cant be) left exposed to the occupied space of the dwelling are of a class 3 AT BEST and more commonly of an unrated fire rateing... there is a multitude of literature and documentation available regarding the performance of plastics in all areas of building science and oother manufactureing processes..this may require some homework and time and education to obtain and process...
surely your industry has a network in place to research and find people who can answer questions about technology that may be new to your service area...(you cant go to the ford dealer to get information on how to wrench your john deere)
...exhale...
....prozac (or two)...
look for insulation carriers,
or paint contractor carriers,
or roofing contractor carriers,
the processes are similar,,but indeed different..
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Aug 30, 2006 11:15 PM
tell your contractor to just stick with installing batt glass. that way all the underwriters have to worry about is paying out all of the cancer claims.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.