Q&A Forums

Insulating the Walls of Poultry Houses Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Benny Davis
Posted: Oct 31, 2006 08:13 PM
Insulating the Walls of Poultry Houses
I am wanting to insulate the walls of my poultry houses. I would like information on how I can purchase the equipment and materials to do it myself.
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Nov 01, 2006 09:12 AM
What part of the country are you located in and I'll give you some info. You may be better off hiring a contractor to do it. There's the cost of the equipment, the education/training, safety requirements, etc. End the end there may not be enough savings after the downstroke of getting started.
Posted: Nov 01, 2006 09:22 AM
you can locate new or used rigs off this website. however this is not like going to home depot and buying a paint sprayer and being in the painting business. it will take some real training and education.
you could save a lot of time,effort,and very possibly money by having local spray foam contractors look over you needs for a quote.just be sure they are licensed.(not sure if all 50 states require a license)
the ranks are thinner in the foam application business, but there are some well seasoned pros that can take care of your needs.
John Shockney
Posted: Nov 02, 2006 09:04 AM
Check www.ebay.com and search for foam insulation, you will find new and used equipment.

Get some training! the equipment is temperamental and high mantance!

thanks Airpro
Ryan Rhoads
Posted: Nov 02, 2006 11:09 PM
I come from a farming family that like you thinks that it is often times cheaper to buy the equipment and perform the service for ones self than to pay someone to provide such service. I do not know what the price of foam is in your area but you would be very wise to figure everything involved in spraying foam insulation. First of all you will anywhere from $15,000 to $25,000 in the rig. Then depended on the type of foam you utilize it will cost a minimum of $.25 to $.45 per board foot. Now if you do not understand board footage than you better learn real quick, becuase a very effecient sprayer can meet the board footage of a structure but someone that has never picked up a gun before can expect a minimum of one kit ($2,000) before he can even get close. I am not triing to discourage you; however I am triing to convience you to investigate every possibility. A friend of mine who blows fiberglass insulation recently told me that there is no way he would buy a machine after seeing everything I go through. I have to keep my material at a resonable temperature, I have had to install a bigger compressor, a fan in the front to keep my compressor cool enough, I've had to install a refridrated dryer, an A/C unit and countless items such as spray hoods, masking tape, and miscellaneous parts. This is not the type of buisness where you buy a hammer and start swinging.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.