Q&A Forums

Ignition and thermal barriers Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
JohnPeters
Posted: Oct 21, 2010 02:39 PM
Ignition and thermal barriers
Mason,

I have heard through the grapevine that there has been a complete role reversal regarding the requirements for covering exposed open cell and closed in attics and crawl spaces.

Can you PLEASE clarify what the hell is going on regarding this topic. I think I can speak for everyone when I say 'this whole situation is completely out of control'. If I have to tell my customers that open cell now needs to be covered and closed cell doesn't they are going to think I'm a shmuck. I've been telling them the opposite for years!

From what I understand, any open cell spray system that currently has approval to be left exposed in areas that are used for service of utility will be required to be covered in any scenario as of Dec of this year.

Apparently open cell cannot perform well under the moded NFPA 286 test. Can you explain exactly what is changing, what the new rules are and why?

How does Canada treat this topic? They seem to be a lot smarter than us when it comes to building science safety. They actually care about their citizens, they don't let big business affect code specs. I say, Whatever the redleafs are doing we should do.

JP
mason
Posted: Oct 22, 2010 10:29 AM
There have been some companies that have passed the new ignition barrier tests with foams that are uncovered in attic spaces. I haven't looked at the ICC evaluation reports for the open cell foams in a few months, so I am not up to date if any of the open cell products have passed.

But, anyone can check the reports to see if they are compliant and what the dates are for acceptance at http://www.icc-es.org/reports/index.cfm?list=list

I checked on one open cell foam supplier's ES report and it says it was renewed May, 2010 and would be re-evaluated in one year. It says the report was approved based on NFPA 286. It does allow foam in attics uncovered with specific qualifications.
mason
Posted: Oct 22, 2010 10:40 AM
OK, I checked 4 different company's evaluation reports and each one says that the report would be evaluated in one year. Also, each of those companies had an open cell foam that was tested in accordance with AC 377 for attic and crawl spaces and could be applied without ignition barrier.

So the one year re-evaluation is across the board regardless of company or product.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.