Q&A Forums

Ideas to recover?? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
quentin
Posted: Apr 26, 2011 07:50 AM
Ideas to recover??
Long story short, health put me down for a while with military medicine and the VA taking their time to try and solve things. As result I let my guys do a job. One was a young kid I was using as much to help him out as anything and he can do good when he wants. Problem is, he put the gun together wrong and a few other things leading to his being let go but not before destroying the gun, whip and 50ft of hose in a cross-over plus some masks he didn't put any protection on that were covered in overspray and these were ones brought in for help that he set to the side and kicked instead of pausing and moving them from plastic while they would be pissing or etc. He also blew the two he wore during the job not covering the lenses while he was spraying.

Yeah, stupid of me to let them do a job without me there though he had done enough he should have been OK with the other guy helping and making sure he did things right. At least my other guy feels like crap and is trying to help us recover out of his own pocket since he was in charge but now we are down.

I can spay without the whip until we can get a new one and managed to get the gun working from the hydrolic loking of the check-ball in the side block by replacing that and drilling out EVERY hole in the P2 but would really like to recover the whip since it was only a year old and a nice heated whip! Would CU6 or DynaSolve destroy the hoses if we sprayed some in it to try and brake up the blockage? Also anyone need an experience hand on a few jobs so we can get the cash together to fix the rest of the crap he screwed up?

Finaly part is that since this happened we have also had weird problems with the A5. We have tried one jobs since and it would spray fine for a bit, then one side would go high. We would clean any screen issues and etc, get things going right and the other side would then jump. Not a lot of crap in the screens but even a small amount that has normally not been an issue has caused this. I am about ready to pull the pumps off the proportioner and rebuild them at this rate but if that doesn't solve the issue I am at a total loss. figured I would see if anyone had any ideas before I rebuild them since I did that just this past winter and it is a major pain in the arse.
SPFer
Posted: Apr 26, 2011 11:11 AM
Quentin,

Sounds like a rough situation. I know you feel bad about not being there, but your guys should have the common sense to not totally screw everything up if you are not on site.

As far as the A5 goes, may be some blockage in the lines. We occasionally flush the hoses out with mineral spirits.
quentin
Posted: Apr 26, 2011 11:52 AM
Never heard of using the mineral spirits before. Have to try that! Thanks!!!
John Shockney
Posted: Apr 26, 2011 02:08 PM
Be careful what you use to flush iso out of the lines if it reacts with the iso you could make things worse methylene chloride is the recommended solvent for iso followed by dop (pump lub)

Airpro
steven argus
Posted: Apr 26, 2011 02:08 PM
Q, sorry to hear about your problems. Keep your chin up and hang in there.

How far up the whip hoses does the blockage go? If it's not too far, cut some off and have NAPA crimp on some new ends. Then jump the elec connection. Dynasolve works the best for us for clearing lines, although you have to mechanically remove most of it. Save the old dynaolve when your done and use it to spray down your gun.

Good luck. We're always here if you have to vent.

The A5 pump is not that bad to rebuild. We can rebuild one in about an hour and a half.
steven argus
Posted: Apr 26, 2011 02:17 PM
Dont forget to check your supply pumps too. Could be a supply issue.
quentin
Posted: Apr 26, 2011 02:46 PM
Been out working on things and dang I am getting pissed at that idiot! Finally looks like things may work but now I just need to clean out where they air supply in the gun is getting jammed up. At least it triggers now but no air out the tip when it is released so yet another tear down to find what I missed. 3 years and never a cross-over and worst I have had has been issues with seals wearing out or my being too hot and sweaty to think things through fully with half a brain functioning.
steven argus
Posted: Apr 26, 2011 05:29 PM
Q, 3 years and no cross overs? Consider yourself lucky. You were due brother! LOL
Posted: Apr 27, 2011 05:44 AM
...3 years and still crossing over???
sign me dll123,,,
or is that troutkiller,,,rofl...

i filled the
spray gun
full of grease
so much so
the darned thing
squeeked
i pulled the
trigger
and out came goo
a resiny mix
that looked like poo
a few more clicks
is all it took
now im diggin foam
with a dental hook

burma shave
quentin
Posted: Apr 28, 2011 12:56 PM
Yeah, been lucky on the crossovers issues but then again, I have been pretty anal about maintenance since the old Jarhead in me comes out in taking care of the guns and stuff. Managed to find where it is plugged the worst and will be going to a local truck repair place I trust to see if they can shorten the whip. The 50ft section behind it that is plugged up is shot though.

Got some CU6 on the way to soak the bodies since it turned out he had swapped the guns when it happened and did it to both of them. Pisses me off since it is a lot of down time with me being the only one that knows enough to fix it now and not being able to be out working on it a lot. If I was big enough to have a full shop it might be different but outside in the storms and my health having some issues just is not going to work. Figures since we just hit that cusp where we were going to expand and hire and then this crap set us back to a one-man-show again until it is all caught up.

Got to say that my suppliers have been fantastic in understanding what happened and are working with me knowing that I have had to go further in debt to them to get it fixed so I can pay them though we are late now which is something I have been very good about until now.

So, does anyone need a hand since at least the Dayton VA has gotten me back up to being able to swing a gun and etc at least? LOL BTW, try to Google the Dayton VA for news. Those thinking the US government should be involved in healthcare can see just the kind of stuff that they can expect.
Daniel X
Posted: May 01, 2011 11:27 AM
The last time I crossed over was back when I started out, using a d-gun and a Gusmer H-2000...

I ended up being able to save the whip and used a long drill bit and an electricians metal fish tape to clean out the crud.

These days, I don't ever cross over inside the gun and down the hose, I'd like to think it's the fusion guns better check-valves and design, but it's also my common sense... when I feel or see that I'm not making good foam I fix the problem, instead of triggering 10 more times (lesson learned the hard way).

Good luck with your rig, I know what it's like... hard to soar like an eagle when you're working with turkeys.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.