Q&A Forums

hybrid versus opencell Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Feb 14, 2008 07:59 PM
hybrid versus opencell
Mason,

There has been a lot of talk lately about the hybrid systems. Im looking for test info that has put the hybrid systems head to head with all open cell. I get questioned often about the effiency versus cost when comparing the 2. We do both systems and, most of the time when people choose the hybrid over all open its because of price. When we do sidewalls we utilize 1" closed with R-19 batts in 2x6 construction or 5" of open. This makes the stated R-values pretty comparable when you take into consideration the lost r from the slight batt compression. Iam looking to find hard evidence on which system performs best. There is lots of anecdotal evidence but I have found no documented hard facts. Does anything exist? Have any tests to date been performed. Iam a foam through and through and want to be able to give credible proof to potential customers.
Thanks in advance..
Thanks in Advance..
mason
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 07:25 AM
I am not aware of comparison testing of hybrid systems and open or closed cell cavity fill applications. By air sealing the wall or ceiling cavity with ccSPF, it should make the fiberglass or cellulose insulation perform better. But to what degree is the question.

I would contact the suppliers who market hybrid systems for any quantitative information.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.