Q&A Forums

furnace btu size recomendation Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Mark Crain
Posted: Nov 01, 2013 08:41 AM
furnace btu size recomendation
My house\cabin is 660 sq ft pole building with 8' ceilings. The crawl space slopes from 2' to 8' and is sprayed with closed cell. The house is 2x6 sprayed full with open cell and the roof is about 20" thick open cell. I want to use a vented propane wall heater in the crawl space and allow the heat to rise through the floor which is 1x12 pine and is NOT t&g so there are cracks. I might have to add vents in the floor but I'll deal with that later. I'm curious if anyone has an idea of how many btu heater I would need. I'm in TN so winters aren't too awful bad.
mason
Posted: Nov 22, 2013 04:48 PM
I would contact an HVAC contractor for their opinion. I would however, be concerned about moisture build up with the propane heater,
John Shockney
Posted: Nov 26, 2013 12:23 PM
Well from an HVAC contractors view, if you are using a vented heater there should be no moisture problem with what you are thinking about.

But what does concern me is cutting vents into the floor to allow the heat to come up this a not allowed by fire code. Because of the chimney effect and if there was a fire to start in the crawl space the fire would spread too fast to allow time to get out of the house.

As to size of the heater needed to heat the space you describe depending on the rating of the heater something around 12,000btu should be ok

Airpro
mason
Posted: Nov 29, 2013 09:16 AM
Airpro has a good point to consider. Anytime you add vents or registers from a crawl space or attic to the living space, the foam plastic needs to be protected with an approved thermal barrier.
Posted: Oct 05, 2016 06:08 AM
Seek advice from a professional technician.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.