Q&A Forums

Foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Mike Glace
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 09:20 PM
Foam
Does anyone know how many board feet a demilec 1/2 pound foam yeilds. they say this foam is .45 to .50 yeild also does anyone know prices on soy based bio 1/2 pound foams my demilec is over $2.00 a pound I am getting beat on a bid by a bio based product company
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 06:57 AM
as i remember,,,most all of the 0.5 lb foams ideally yeild about 15K per kit,,,
prices are market driven,,, and, in my opinion, many of the vendors are "pushing the envelope" on what the raw material can cost. a lets see what the market will bear attitude. they are doing a great job at pricing their products out of the market, and if the current pricing continues unchecked...this marvelous product will loose its opportunity to be a "mainstream" component in the construction industry, being used only whe the specs demand the HIGH COST MATERIAL.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 02:39 PM
Absolutely True! We are seeing a renewed interest in Cellulose and (shudder) fiberglass.

It's a shame because we get many customers who have researched spray foam on the internet and they come to us already sold on the concept. In many cases the price turns them away... "Is there a Home Depot around here?" is their parting question to me.

gcw
Ryan Rhoads
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 03:46 PM
Most of the bio foams are about that same price. The cheapest soy based foam that I was able was from soyol. It was about $1800 per kit however it came out of virginia and that made it a bit cost prohibitive for me.
Mike Glace
Posted: May 06, 2006 11:51 PM
How much money does anyone think its costing these companies to make there foam, also the profit they make.. Does anyone know how to fomulate the foam cause if the istallers could make there own foam i honestly think, if it would cost less then 1000 dollars a set we could meet or beat junk fiberglass and eventualy make it extinct..
Huey Reed
Posted: Jul 08, 2006 12:36 AM
Stop trying to compare apples to oranges when selling foam. Some builders get it, and some don't. We're selling a product that has no equal in the insulation industry. The builder can eliminate attic ventilation (if allowed by code), reduce the HVAC system by 30% ($1500-$3000), apply for tax credits, help homeowners qualify for an energy efficient loan valued 7% higher ($14,000.00 more for the builder on a $200K home or $214K) talk to your local Coutrywide loans or visit the DOE website, the builder can qualify for a free listing at the EPA energy star website for building energy efficient homes, we can cut our dependency on foreign oil and stop supporting the idiots in the middle-east (that alone is worth switching to foam) and much more. Become a part of the "green building" movement, learn everything you can about "Zero Energy" construction and become a voice in your community. We have no competition in the insulation business, and that's what you have to sale. Ask the builder this, "do you build quality homes?" If the answer is yes, "then why aren't you using foam?" We'll be at the SEBC show in August (3,4,5) in Orlando stop by and see us. Visit www.sebcshow.com
Posted: Jul 11, 2006 09:16 PM
amen huey,,
now get me code recognition/approval of it...

get me energy star approval of an r13 application in a 2x6 wall....

get me "performance value" approval for energy company rebates....

my hvac contractors still are reluctant to "downsize" their systems,,,they believe in the foam system performance (and sell work for me)but they want ASHRE #'s to substantiate the ability to downsize,,,it is their "liability" on the line...
i have builders that are in the 1 million $$ market that tell me foam is too expensive...
i would luv to advertise the truth: they dont care what it cost to operate the structure...they only want bells and whistles...and they want to BUILD CHEAP...
but if i did that,,,i would be out of business in a year....
show me the numbers,,
get me a way to provide architects, engineers and the like a way to quantify the performance influence of an air barrier and they will spec it,,they have told me so...
i am waiting on the industry to provide me or them with the right data...
until then,,,
i sell r value,,
to design specs...

..cant wait for another "foam application in roofing approval" hee hee
Huey Reed
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 10:15 PM
We're working with an engineer in Jacksonville who is "working" on peformance values, keep your fingers crossed ;). Another problem we've run into is the energy efficient mortgage program. Getting a loan company to specify requirements. We're "working" with Countrywide on that one, since they are the ones listed at the DOE website. Local code is R11 in the walls and code enforcement is happy as long as that is what we install. The only reason to build with 2 x 6's over 2 x 4's is for more insulation. Racking test showed a 2 x 4 structure was up to 200% stronger when closed cell foam was applied. Results are reported in "Testing and Adoption of Spray Polyurethane Foam for Wood Frame Building Construction" (May 25, 1992) prepared by NAHB Research Center for The Society of the Plastics Industry/Polyurethane Foam Contractors Division. I know, you've already read all of that stuff, but it's part of educating the public.

I totally agree with you, builders do want bells, whistles, and above all cheap. We're working dircetly to educate builders, architects and the public. Get your local paper to do a press release about the advantages of SPF insulation. They are always looking for new articles to print, and you could get some free publicity. We're involved in every meeting with our local builders association. We go to the meetings, bring the donuts, sponsor events, play the game, and we're having a lot of fun. It pays off with contacts and referrals.

Thank God, FEMA, the D.O.E. and EPA are coming on board with SPF insulation. It's just a matter of time before that Government influence begins to trickle down into our daily lives. But I really don't know if that's going to be a good thing or a bad thing, only time will tell.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.