Q&A Forums

foam school Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
corey anderson
Posted: Feb 19, 2008 12:06 PM
foam school
Has anyone attended the cpi foam school? I bought a used rig for a really good price recently. I have been spraying 2# cc for about 6 months now. I am thinking of doing this training for my own self assurance. I spray part time but would like to build it up to full time.
philip mullins
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 11:27 PM
been spraying for six months and you think that now might be a good time to get trained how to do it?lol. i love it.
corey anderson
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 04:36 PM
Well trout the guy I bought it from gave me a crash course. I have only ran into a few problems with maintenance issues. I am sorry if I offended you. I would just like to understand things a little better. I will try to be more like a troutkiller and know everything right out of the gate.
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 06:00 PM
now corey...trout is just a wild man who likes to express himself...
dont take it personal..
he just does that to provoke dialoge,,and dialoge is good :)
and i commend you for wanting to increase your knowledge and understanding of your industry...
cant speak for the cpi school,,but i can for the peeps and they are fine folks,,,assets to our industry...may i also suggest becomeing a member of the spfa,,,or at least attending their accreditation courses and education sessions...
read all you can,,,scrutinize the source carefully(read:dont believe "all" that you read,,,we are all in this for different reasons...)...post on forums and ask questions,,,
study the other building trades and especially building science..
good luck to you and i wish you well
'dude
philip mullins
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 08:47 PM
dialoge opened... sry if i hurt anyones feelings!

this industry is set to grow at a mind boggling rate in the next few years. and the real winners in this deal will be mr and mrs jones, the home owners who save money while conserving valuable resources. but, dont expect the suppliers or the builders to get our industry to that level. it will get there on the backs of the installers.
and along the long hard road to mainstreem use of spf we will face many obstacles. uneducated/informed end users, thick headed builders, a fledgeling economy, etc.. but, one of the biggest obstacles we face as an industry is ineperienced, undertrained applicators. and right now, the industry is being flooded with this. i dont say these things to anger you. the truth is the truth. and if you search these very forums you will see that this is a very real concern among industry leaders, and others.
honestly, there is no ill will intended. i want to see you do good. and by do good i mean make lots of money, so learn how to bid the jobs and dont cut throat. i mean give your customers a good quality install, not just put foam on the walls, so that they tell everyone how awsome this stuff is. i mean that i want you to succeed and help move the industry forward so that we all will succeed.
and stating that you are interested in learning tells me that you, at the very least, care about your work. and you and anyone else who wants to get into the industry should get the proper training on how to create an effective building envelope BEFORE they go out into the world and sell themselves as a pro. and as i said at the start of this way too long post, sry if that hurts your feelings. but, when realy good, hard working people with the best intentions get into this highly technical buisness without a clue... well it screws up the industry as a whole. and then i cant make money. and then i cant feed my kid. and THAT kinda hurts my feelings.
and fyi, i have only been offering spf to my customers for a little over a year now. and i learn something every day. so no, peeps dont wanna be like me cause i know so much. they wanna be like me cause i am so damn good looking!
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Feb 21, 2008 09:52 PM
We are hosting a small spray foam conference in Lincoln, NH, April 11-13. Mason will be teaching two SPFA courses, There are two 101 courses now. The 101 is a general fundamentals of SPF not specific to either building envelope or roofing. That is a prerequisite for 101 BE wihich is specific for building envelope.

I think both courses would be helpful to the applicator. The first goes over safety and health, equipment, foam chemistry. The second over specific applications, quality control, codes and standards. Look for the press release on sprayfoammagazine.com soon.

George
Michael Flander
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 10:36 AM
Are you looking for equipment training or material training? And more importantly, what are your goals for training? In other words, what do you feel your struggling with now that you want to become more educated on?

George's classes at the Spray foam conference would be a terrific choice. George is a wealth of knowledge and you couldn't do better then to learn from Mason.

Mike
corey anderson
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 03:24 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I feel a person can never get enough knowledge. I would like to learn every aspect of the industry. I have sprayed 2 polebarns 1 house and several crawlspaces. I have noticed I have gotten much less yield on the crawlspaces.

I take a great deal of pride in what I do. I am a concrete finisher by trade so I know how hard it is to please some people. I never leave the job until I walk through with the customer and they are happy.

The biggest thing is trying to sell this expensive product. When people don't understand how it works and makes it so much better than other insulation.

I guess what I am saying is I want to know as much as possible about every aspect. It seems I learn something new every job.

Thanks again Corey
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 07:14 PM
Where's NH? Isn't that part of Massachusetts?

It doesn't matter what field you are in, there is always continuing education. Doctors, lawyers, etc all attend continuing ed. classes long after they have entered the field. It help keep people up to date with developments in the field!

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.