Q&A Forums

Foam in place insulation Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Joe Lynch
Posted: Apr 28, 2009 07:20 PM
Foam in place insulation
What is your experience with a foam in place insulation. I am looking at a product called tripolymer. It is a water based foam that can be installed into existing wall cavities, drill hole in wall and fill. It has an R rating of 4.8 per inch.
Posted: Apr 29, 2009 07:14 PM
The person to get in touch with is Mike Green at (239)-543-9806 there the Tripolymer distributor.
mason
Posted: Apr 30, 2009 07:22 AM
Tri Polymer foam is a low density pour in place insulating foam. From some research I conducted the last few hours, it appears the foam is a phenolic-formaldehyde based system developed in the early 70s as a alternative to urea formaldehyde based foam insulation. Phenollic-formaldehyde is not urea-formaldehyde and is known to emit much less formaldehyde in the products it is used in such as fiberglass, OSB and foam insulation. Some have reported shrinkage of around 2% after installation. (I do not have any first hand knowledge of this, but it was reported in 1/3 of the articles I read on the product.)

I can see why the folks at CP Chemical would shy away from calling their foam a phenolic-formaldehyde foam. Urea-formaldehyde has such a bad name due to the odors created when installed as a foam insulation in the 70s. But, the technology of Tripolmers is most likely a distinctive variation of the phenolic-formaldehyde resin and from my research not likely to emit significant odors or formaldehyde into a building.

For those who would like to conduct their own research, I have saved more than a dozen articles and research documents related to tri-polymer foam and phenol-formaldehyde resins.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.