Q&A Forums

Foam Dome Florida Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
David Pressler
Posted: Mar 02, 2009 10:06 PM
Foam Dome Florida
Need to protect the 3 inches of closed cell foam on the exterior of the dome built in Florida. I am finding it difficult to find a stucco company familiar with closed cell foam coating.
Was hoping to be able to use a mix to smooth out the foam waves.
A product that I can apply myself would be the one I want.
www.safedomes.com
mason
Posted: Mar 03, 2009 02:46 PM
Rather than trying to smooth out waves in the foam, you could trim the wavy foam with a trimming tool. There are a couple of handheld models that should work. Check with your supplier for their recommendation. I used to use the Gusmer trimming tool when doing cold storage work, it operated off an air motor and would cut off the excess foam and leave the rest. We could get very nice looking walls and ceilings with it to within a 1/4 inch tolerance. If we wanted a very smooth surface, then we would use surform tools and sandpaper.

I know that tool is not being made but I believe the Grand Rapids scarfer is still available. Any more out there?
David Pressler

Builder of Off Grid monolithic indestructible concrete structures with exterior foam ALSO Foam Domes.

Posted: Mar 03, 2009 02:54 PM
If you would go to my web site you will see the imperfection I speak of. To sand down the entire structure only to reapply a coating does not seem practica. Currently the recommendation is a 3 part process to prime it then mesh then acrylosand then seal.
www.safedomes.com
mason
Posted: Mar 04, 2009 07:38 AM
I have some experience with trying to smooth out foam with stucco or plaster. It is very difficult, uses lots of material and has a tendency to come off. Again, I strongly recommend trimming the foam. It will be a better job in the long run.
David Pressler

Builder of Off Grid monolithic indestructible concrete structures with exterior foam ALSO Foam Domes.

Posted: Mar 04, 2009 07:43 AM
Now you have me thinking? I have been taking recommedations from Nationwide Chemical and they have me set up with
Acryloprime
Acrylomesh
Acrylosand
Acryloseal
3 step process 4 if you include laying the mesh

I have found NO companies in Florida familiar with coating exterior closed cell foam as a wall application so now contemplating organizing a semeinar in Floria on March 26 at Inverness,Florida. Feel free to announce this to any interested companies who would want to attend.
Not sure if a company rep will be there or not or who will actually be applying the product and how many days etc. at this point.
I do know that the foam has been on the dome since Feb 2 and needs to be protected ASAP
Posted: Mar 05, 2009 06:58 AM
buck,,
check out the south boys at monolithicdomes.com or sumpin like that,,,
they be doin foam domes for years,,and got away from the foam bein on the outside of the structure after a few failures back in the beginning,,,
they offer training,,equip,,,consultation service,,& engineering as well!!!

heed masons advice on the deck,,
think AcryloPlane

'dude

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.